Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Olympic

Manitoba

Guest Jerrod

I have an 8x14 photo of the Olympic in Dazzle paint from WWI, My Great Grandpa took it back after the war and bought this picture in New York. The reall picture is wider and a bit taller, my scanner couldn't fit the whole thing. olympic.th.jpg

Not to be pedantic, but it would be RMS then HMT Olympic—SS designation is for American ships. I have two shots taken in 1919 when my grandfather was returning home in June (?). I'll post then as soon as I install the new drivers for the scanner (just bought a 24" iMac—SWEET!)

Jerrod, that's very a nice shot.  I think I've seen a small version of that photo before but yours really shows a lot of detail.

Sean, I'd love to see those photos your grandfather took.

Regards, Ralph

Quote Sean Peake:

"Not to be pedantic, but it would be RMS then HMT Olympic—SS designation is for American ships."

Sorry, can you explain further?

SS = Steam Ship - was applicable to any country's steam ship I thought.

Kath.

Quote Sean Peake:

"Not to be pedantic, but it would be RMS then HMT Olympic—SS designation is for American ships."

Sorry, can you explain further?

SS = Steam Ship - was applicable to any country's steam ship I thought.

Kath.

The way I understand it is that any ship in service of the crown or performing an official government service had either an "HMS" (His/Her Majesty's Ship) or, for example, "RMS" (Royal Mail Steamer-which was the Titanic's designation), while "SS" was used by American ships. In the case of the Olympic at that time, it was designated as "HMT" (His Majesty's Troop ship). My grandfather identifies the ship as HMT Olympic in his album. Hope this helps.

S

Hi all,

SS was the abbreviation for Steam Ship, and some steam ships, mostly speedy passenger liners, got commission from the british royal post office to transport mail from/to england from/to foreign countries, hence the abbreviation RMS for Royal mail steamer.

So , there were a lot of SS sailing around the world, and less RMS were sailing around.

Regards,

Laurent

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Does anyone have any information about the use of SS Olympic as a troop ship 1915-1918. I believe that she was used to transport a large part of the CEF to Liverpool during the war. My Canadian gt. uncle spoke in glowing terms of her facilities.

Any pictures of the CEF in transit between Halifax - Liverpool ?

Manitoba

I promised these some time ago. Here's hoping they come out all right.

I promised these some time ago. Here's hoping they come out all right.

One more

post-45297-1247362349.jpg

post-45297-1247362437.jpg

Thanks Sean!  Those are great pics, especially the boxing match. Keeping the troops occupied and entertained would have been a high priority on a voyage of several days length.

Am I correct in assuming your grandfather was an officer?  Your second photo was taken near the compass platform on the boat deck, an area that normally would have been 'officer country'.

Regards, Ralph

Thanks Sean!  Those are great pics, especially the boxing match. Keeping the troops occupied and entertained would have been a high priority on a voyage of several days length.

Am I correct in assuming your grandfather was an officer?  Your second photo was taken near the compass platform on the boat deck, an area that normally would have been 'officer country'.

Regards, Ralph

Yes he was: Lt. 124th Canadian Pioneers, Cpt. 12th Canadian Engineers. I have seen another boxing shot somewhere taken from another angle.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Hi !

I'm also really interested in the trooping years of the Olympic. Living in Malta I know the ship ran near the island many times between 1915 and 1916.

I learned recently that the ship sent messages to the shore station of Malta but I really don't know how to find more informations about that.

If anyone knows how I can dig the subject I'll be the happiest man on this small island !!

The naval wireless receiving station for ship-to-shore was located at Rinella, somewhere out to the rear of Fort Ricasoli.

The transmitting station was at Haz-Zebbug.

MB

Rinella wireless station is where the tennis club now is.

MB