Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please - I'm confused

Ray Tomlinson

According to the 1918 Absent Voters List, my grandfather served with the 439 Cheshire Field Co Re as a Sapper (446258). His MIC confirms this adding the regimental No. 629 - was this an earlier regiment?

The 1st theatre served was (3) Egypt and the date 1/8/15. This is my main confusion did he serve in Egypt or Galipoli? I'm sure there is an easy explanation but, not being well versed in military matters, I'm having difficulty working it out.

Ray.

His first number was his original one. The TF were renumbered in 1917, with six figure numbers. His company was originally 2/1st Cheshire, it changed its title in 1917.

As 2/1st Cheshire, it landed at Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915. However, it looks a though they disembarked in Egypt beforehand before moving on, hence the discrepancy in date. The unit war diary would confirm this.

Terry Reeves

The 629 number was an "early" number. The Territorial Force gave numbers from their own set of numbers (i.e. each unit had a separate string of numbers) before 1917, when the 6-digit numbers were issued which were soecific to units.

Before that there was the potential to have dozens of men with the same numebr, especially in a Corps the size of the RE.

The List of RE units on the Long, Long Trail gives us this :

439th Field Company - 53rd Division (Sep 1914 - Apr 1918) then 74th Division (Named 2/1st (Cheshire) until 1917. )

http://www.1914-1918.net/re.htm

If you look at the page for 53rd Division it shows July 1915 to Egypt & 9-8-1915 to Gallipoli, so his actual arrival in a Theatre of War would have been in Egypt and then onto Gallipoli a couple of days later.

The 3rd Division later served in Palestine and was involved in the battles of Gaza in 1917, as indeed were the 74th Division to which the 439th Field Company transferred to en-masse in 1918.

Steve.

Although the first action took place at Suvla, it would appear that Egypt was the point of disembarkation. The MIC of my grandfather who was with the Dublins indicates this. initially it had me somewhat confused.

ken

Thanks for the info everyone - I now feel justified in being confused!