Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B.E.F. Regimental Histories

chris.wight

One of our members of the C.E.F. Study Group, Chris (a.k.a. Bro) spotted this site full of interesting books which can be downloaded. It appears the source for much of this scanning are Canadian Universities which hold these books. There are other sections but these books come only from the Canadian University scans so there are likley more to be found in the other areas.

The site is http://www.archive.org/ and the downloads are free of charge.

Regimental Histories

Ainsworth, Ralph Bignell, Sir - The story of the 6th Battalion, the Durham Light Infantry : France, April 1915-November 1918 - link

Anonymous - Short History of the London Rifle Brigade - Compiled regimentally - link

Anonymous - The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the war, 1914-1918 - link

Arthur, John W. - The Seventeenth Highland Light Infantry. (Glasgow Chamber of Commerce Battalion) record of war service, 1914-1918 - link

Blampied, H. J. - With a Highland regiment in Mesopotamia, 1916-1917 - link

Cruttwell, Charles Robert Mowbray Fraser - The war service of the 1/4 Royal Berkshire Regiment (T.F.) - link

Davidson, George - The incomparable 29th and the "River Clyde" - link

Gleichen, Edward, Lord - The doings of the Fifteenth Infantry Brigade, August 1914 to March 1915 - link

Hamilton, Ernest, Lord - The first seven divisions : being a detailed account of the fighting from Mons to Ypres - link

Lowe, William Douglas - War history of the 18th (S.) Battalion Durham Light Infantry - link

Majendie, V. H. B. - A history of the 1st Battalion, the Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's) : July 1st, l916, to the end of the war - link

Marden, Thomas Owen, Sir - A short history of the 6th Division Aug. 1914- March 1919 - link

McBride, Herbert Wes - The Emma Gees - link

Priestley, Raymond Edward, Sir - Breaking the hindenburg line the story of the 46th (north midland) division - link

Rose, G. K. - The story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry - link

Ross, Robert B. - The Fifty-first in France - illustrated by Jessie K. Ross - link

Sandilands, J W. - The history of the 7th Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders - link

Sutherland, D. - War diary of the Fifth Seaforth Highlanders, 51st (Highland) Division - link

Ward, Fred W. - The 23rd (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers (First Sportsman's) : a record of its services in the Great War, 1914-1919 - link

Weetman, W. C. C. - The Sherwood Foresters in the great war, 1914-1919, 1/8th Battalion - link

Wiebkin, H. W. - A short history of the 39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery 1915-1918 - link

Wilson, S. J. - The Seventh Manchesters July 1916 to March 1919 - link

Many thanks for an excellent link.

Regards

Richard

Yes, agree with Chris Wight. This is a new reading resource and available at no charge. I would expect several more documents will be found and posted over the next few weeks.

Borden Battery

If you type 'personal narratives' into the search engine on the main website page you will also find a large number of personal testimonies of the war.

David

It includes copies of my own website going back to 2001. Without permission. This is copyright-busting par excellence. Time to call my lawyer...

Hello Chris

5 April 2006

Are you referring to the http://www.archive.org/ website ... as this site appears to be part of a consortium of university libraries which are generally quite careful about copyrights.

Borden Battery

Hi Dwight. The books I listed above are from the Canadian University subsection, link, which is hosted by the University of Toronto. The books they scanned would be in the public domain according to Canadian copyright laws .

The archive.org site looks very useful for obtaining copies of Great War stuff. As far as my website is concerned, I really don't care too much but for me it raises questions about copyright and publication rights. So you can just take a copy of my site, put it on your server, dress it up as part of some academic "research" site ... what? Try doing that with Coca Cola or Mercedes Benz sites and you'll be in court so fast you'll lose your breath...

We have a couple fellows on the CEF Study Group site who have strong backgrounds in copyright. I will ask them to take a look at things.

Borden Battery

I think what Chris is referring to is the "Wayback Machine". This is where they bookmark websites at a specific period in time. It's useful for viewing sites which are no longer online. I think you can do it with a large variety of sites, including possibly things like Coca Cola. I could be wrong on this though. I'm not sure how it works in terms of copyright. Good question...