Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt William L Gordon MC

barrieduncan

Hi all,

I'v been trying (in vain) for the last hour or so to find a Military Cross entry in the London Gazette to a Captain William L Gordon of the Seaforth Highlanders. The newspaper report I'v seen says he was awarded the MC for his actions at the Battle of the Somme on the 1st of July 1916.

I'v had limited success so far with other searches on the Gazette, I know i'm probably doing something wrong. Can anyone help please, this is getting really annoying now :(

Cheers,

Barrie

You will probably need his full name.

Do you know his middle name?

Steve.

Afraid not Steve. The article reads:

'Captain William L Gordon (Seaforth Highlanders), only son of Mr and Mrs Gordon, Murray PLace, Bellshill, has been awarded the Military Cross for conspicious bravery on the occasion of the advance at the Somme on 1st July.

Captain Gordon was a medical student in Glasgow University, and a member of the Officers Training Corps. He was gazetted in August 1914, and has been on active service since December of that year. He was wounded and "gassed" in January, 1915.'

I'll have a look for the 1914 entry, maybe that will give a middle name,

Cheers,

Barrie

Barrie

Per Glasgow University archives he would appear to be Captain William Longman Gordon MC, 3rd Seaforth Highlanders

LG 22nd September 1916

Captain William Longman Gordon, Seaforth Highlanders, Special Reserve

"For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his company with great dash and took an active part in repelling bombing attacks throughout the day."

Regards

Pam

Pam,

You are a life saver! I am so close to either smashing my head through the monitor or diving out the window! LG is hard enough to search, but now almost everytime I try and load a page I get an error message, its bloody maddening.

I never thought to check the Uni archives, thanks for that one.

Barrie

Cheers for that Steve. You must just have the magic touch :)