Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.)

snavek

In 1916 a Lewisham newspaper devoted about a 6'' column, with photograph, relating to the death of Sgt. S.(Sidney) G.(George) Pooley, kia 15/9/16. It seems he had enlisted at Lewisham with the 11th Btn. Queen's Own. His service records are missing but I wonder if Forum members would comment on a couple of questions?

The report lists him as a Sergeant but his m-i-c shows him as a Corporal, GS/9247.

CWGC also have him as a Corporal, G/9247, 11th Btn., Queens Own (R. West Kent Regt.) remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

The Queen's Own website Roll of Honour lists him as Pooley, S. J. G/9247, Cpl.

a). What's the likelyhood that he got a field promotion, but if he did should'nt that be shown on his m-i-c? Or is it more probable that the reporter got it wrong!

B). I still get confused with service numbers, what does GS signify, and does his number mean that he was the 9247th enlistment at Lewisham? If so his promotion(s) seem pretty quick considering the short period between the time the 11th Btn. was raised and his death.

Keith

Interesting. In the Battn history (compiled by Capt R O Russell, MC), Pooley is listed in the Roll of Honour as a corporal, yet in the text (page 70), a Pooley is mentioned as being amongst the sergeants known to have been killed in the big attack at Flers on 15th September. Although an S Pooley and an SG Pooley are listed as having served with the Bn, only SG is listed as having died; therefore he must have held sergeant's rank on 15th September. Probably local, acting, unpaid!

Can't help with the number question though, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith,

According to Williamson's excellent book on the subject, GS on a medal denotes nothing more special than 'General Service' - much like the code 'G', it was one which was allocated to the RWK's. I have a few medals to 11th battalion RWK men with the same prefix.

Hope this helps,

Gilbert