Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pestorisk Brothers

Stephen Nulty

Pals

I have just finished reading Neil Hanson's book "The Unknown Soldier". On page 388, he makes reference to one "Private Thomas Pestorisk of the Scottish Rifles", and then goes on to quote from Mathew Holden's "The War In The Trenches", saying Pestorisk was "...the youngest of nine brothers who joined the army and he has lost eight brothers in the war".

I can find no reference to this surname in CWGC, SDGW, or at the NA Documents Online.

Anybody know if there is any truth in this claim of 9 brothers joining up and 8 losing their lives?

stephen,i came across a similar comment in the manchester papers about a soldier who had lost 6 brothers to the war,when i checked there was no sign of them,they were refering to the fact that they had gone to war not died in it,bernard

Thanks Bernard.

I thought as you did, but was then curious because I can't find any MIC for them

Strange......

Thanks Bernard.

I thought as you did, but was then curious because I can't find any MIC for them

Strange......

There must have been great sorrow and grieving in the household of William and Julia Souls ,of Great barrington,Burford,Oxon.

This family lost 5 of their sons.

You just can't possibly comprehend the tragedy that these poor parents must have felt.Defies description.

Bob

Being picky I know, but the Souls brothers were from Great Rissington in Gloucestershire not Great Barrington which is a few miles up the road.

They were from the same village as my GGUncle, Oliver Porter who is remembered on the same memorial and my GGFather, Charles White who thankfully survived the war.

An extremely sad loss and one that is still remembered every year when the names of all those young men are read out on Remembrance Sunday.

Steve