Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur and William EAMER, Royal Field Artillery

johnbeales

I am looking for any information on another pair of Eamer brothers:

1. 40973 Gunner/Bombardier Arthur Eamer, RFA. Born 1887

2. 62926 Gunner William Eamer, RFA. Born 1892/3.

Both from Hawkesbury Upton, Gloucestershire.

Regards

John

I've downloaded the MIC's on these two brothers:

1. 40973 Arthur Eamer served with 42 nd Brigade, RFA and rose to the rank of Serjeant.

He was eligible for the 1914 Star and his date of entitlement was 19.8.1914; Is this the date he joined up or the date he went overseas? If the later does this mean he was already serving at the outbreak of the war? His MIC also has the annotation '1914 clasp': what does this mean please?

2. 62926 William Eamer, 43 RFA, later transferred to the Royal Engineers where he was numbered 307242. His date of entitlement was 16.8.1914. Query as above.

Has anyone got any information on their units?

Regards

John

To answer your questions, and this applies to both brothers...

Is this the date he joined up or the date he went overseas?

It's the date they entered a theatre of war.

does this mean he was already serving at the outbreak of the war?

It means that he was either serving as a regular soldier or had served as a regular soldier and was on Army Reserve.

His MIC also has the annotation '1914 clasp'

The 1914 Star was awarded for those who served in France or Belgium (on the establishment of the British Expeditionary Forces) between 05 August 1914 and midnight of 22/23 November 1914.

The Clasp (or bar) bearing the dates 5th Aug. - 22nd Nov. 1914 was awarded to those who served under fire or were present on duty within range of the enemy mobile artillery in France or Belgium between the above dates and was worn on the medal ribbon. A 'rose' was also issued for wear on the 'ribbon bar'.

Hope this helps

Steve

Many thanks Steve.

I'd not included the mention of the Rose as I wasn't sure I had read it correctly on the MIC.

Regards

John

To answer your questions, and this applies to both brothers...

It's the date they entered a theatre of war.

It means that he was either serving as a regular soldier or had served as a regular soldier and was on Army Reserve.

The 1914 Star was awarded for those who served in France or Belgium (on the establishment of the British Expeditionary Forces) between 05 August 1914 and midnight of 22/23 November 1914.

The Clasp (or bar) bearing the dates 5th Aug. - 22nd Nov. 1914 was awarded to those who served under fire or were present on duty within range of the enemy mobile artillery in France or Belgium between the above dates and was worn on the medal ribbon. A 'rose' was also issued for wear on the 'ribbon bar'.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi John.Notice on Nat Archives that Eamer is quite a rare name as such with only 31 Mics listed to Eamer.I have a WW1 pair to Frank Morely Eamer,County of London Yeomanry who finished up as a Lieutenant in the MGC.Don,t know if he was related Bob.

quote name='johnbeales' date='Apr 2 2006, 09:07 AM' post='428675']

I am looking for any information on another pair of Eamer brothers:

1. 40973 Gunner/Bombardier Arthur Eamer, RFA. Born 1887

2. 62926 Gunner William Eamer, RFA. Born 1892/3.

Both from Hawkesbury Upton, Gloucestershire.

Regards

John

Hi John,

As well as being interested in the men of Hawkesbury, I also have in interest in the Royal Artillery! Here is what I can add for their actions in 1914.

Arthur - 42nd Bde, RFA. Comfirmed as having entered theatre of war, France, 19.8.1914. Divisional Artillery with 3rd Division, until c.1918. Consisted of 29, 41 and 45 Batteries.

William - 43rd (Howitzer) Bde RFA Confirmed as having entered France 16.8.1914. Divisional Artillery with 1st Division. Consisted of 30, 40 and 57 Batteries, under the command of Lt Col G.H. Geddes.

Both of the brothers took part in the Battle of Mons, 23rd August 1914. 42 Bde were in postion to the east of Nouvelles, S.E of Mons, although did not come into action on this day, firing it first rounds at 10.30 on the 24th, before retiring to St Waast. 43 Bde were positioned south of the crossroads on the Binche - Bavai Road.

Arthur then took part in the action at Le Cataeu, supporting the 7th Infantry Bde at Caudry. Both brothers then fought in action in the Battles of the Marne and the Aisne (at the Aisne, another villager, J. B. Jenkison was killed) before taking part in the 1st Battle of Ypres.

Simon