Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion " (Pub. Late April ?)

ianw

Very pleased to learn that the above book is a revision and enlargement of Gerald's excellent "When the Barrage Lifts" - a book which I find equally useful as a winter "dipper into" or when visiting the Somme. Another must buy ? Has anyone seen an advanced copy yet ?

Ian

I was just about to place an order via the form with the latest WFA mag until I read your posting.

I thought that this was NOT an updated edition of 'When the Barrage Lifts' but of Somme 1916- a battlefield guide. Seen at Amazon HERE

Martin

Martin- I think the Amazon linked book that you refer to is indeed the new book published at the end of this month - and at a good price of £16.50 too. The review in ST states that it is an enlarged revision of "WtBL's". It is a whopping 560 pages so will definitely be going over with me in July. I am sure it will lead me to areas and stories that I would never have come across otherwise.

I may have confused you by referringg to it as "Return to the Somme" which was the heading above the ST review. I have now changed this above to avoid further confusion ! Amazon call it a battlefield "guide" in error as the cover clearly refers to it as a "companion".

Thanks Ian.

I think that clears it up.

Will place order this weekend. Hopefully it will arrive by 1 July though unfortunately unlikely by 6 May, when I first go across.

"When the Barrage lifts" was re-issued with a new title - "The Battle of the Somme - a Topographical History" and this is going to be its third reincarnation in an expanded form under the latest title.

Tom

Tom- I rather liked it's original title but I suppose publishers know that a potential buyer nowadays must be told exactly "what is in the can" to maximise sales.

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of 'The Battle of The Somme: A Topographical History' By Gerald Gliddon (Corrected Edition 1994) which I think I paid £10.00 for in a Bargain Book shop.

Does any pal have 'Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion' is worth forking out for the 'extra' material?

I have a copy of 'The Battle of The Somme: A Topographical History' By Gerald Gliddon (Corrected Edition 1994) which I think I paid £10.00 for in a Bargain Book shop.

Does any pal have 'Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion' is worth forking out for the 'extra' material?

I brought a copy last month (£20 via WFA flyer), as my copy of 'The Battle of The Somme: A Topographical History' was very battered.

Personally, I like the 'Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion', but £25 is a bit steep!

I would recommend to the Pals, to wait for it to be published in the Paper back format!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a library copy of 'The Battle of The Somme: A Topographical History' By Gerald Gliddon out at present and have obtained the new 'Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion' and have begun a comparison. This will have to fit in with all other reading let alone life in general.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a copy of the Somme 1916 - A Battlefield Companion for £14.99 in British Bookshops & Sussex stationers.

Grab yourself a bargain pals!

Lyndon