Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Coldstreamer

Hello

did the RWF fight in Afghanistan 1919 ? And any campaign medals awarded to them ?

I ask as I saw a MM card to the RWF with Afghanistan written on the top of the card

Cheers

Ian

They are not listed in Gordon,but numerous "Odd" men would probably have received the IGS 1908,Clasp NWF Afghanistan 1919,being on attachment;they were entitled to the Waziristan 1921~24 Clasp on the IGS 1908;though{1st Bn;}

Hello

Thanks - one of those rarity medals youd love to get your hands on

Ian

True,I doubt there would be a seperate MiC for the IGS,usually the IGS/GSM/AGS of that immediate post war era,would have been appended onto the WW1 MiC with a roll page reference,so should be fairly easily traceable,no doubt the Roll page would indicate numbers to the Regiment by the amount of men to a particular unit on it{there are often just a few/one or two to those Regts that had odd men,in Alphabetical order}nice to find one,especially if missed by someone else!

We live in hope!

How ironic... yesterday at the WFA East Coast chpt mtg some one brought up that a WWI era tank had been found in Afghanistan shortly after the 2001 war. Apparently it had been shoved into a ravine after the guns had been removed. Apparently it was abandoned and not destroyed in any conflict. This is all I know about it, but the question was raised by the group how it got there. Would the Royal Welsh have had a tank corp?

BTW... I about died when one of the attendees threw out the hypothesis that the British got Syria after the war and after all thats not really that far from Afghanistan anyway. No one made a comment on his hypothesis.

. Would the Royal Welsh have had a tank corp?

No but the Tank Corps/Royal Tank Corps were involved in the NWF from the 1920s.

In Afghanistan 1919 mostly Armoured Cars/Armoured Batteries,MGC; were used

BTW... I about died when one of the attendees threw out the hypothesis that the British got Syria after the war and after all thats not really that far from Afghanistan anyway.

Roughly speaking, the French 'got' Syria after the war along with Lebanon and the British 'got' Iraq, Transjordan and parts of Palestine.

This was in the provisions of the Sykes-Picot Agreement.

I don't think that hypothesis flies.