Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MMs

AGWR

Does anyone know whether this was always the case? I am 99.9% sure that two 17th Middlesex were awarded MMs, and I cannot find any reference of their award in the LG. I know that the search engine is a bit iffy at the best of times, but I have tried a number of options without success.

Regards,

AGWR

Andrew

Seems to me to find things on LG you need some sort of magic touch.

You would probably be better off posting the names on here and if either of the Steves cant find them then they are not there :D

Glyn

Hello Glyn,

Trust that all is well with you. The two men are:

F1585 SJT SHORE Frederick

F3055 L/SJT HICKMAN Joseph

The latter was a remarkable man, ending up with a DCM and 2 bars.

Regards,

AGWR

hello

a quick search on the medal index cards doesnt show any mm's either

you have to take the view with the LG on line thats its much better than having nothing

Ian

Ian,

You are quite right, of course... and it is free, but it is still frustrating sometimes. I see that JJ Hickman has three MICs. Rather than pay £13:50 just to look at them tonight, I will have a look when I am down the NA in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

AGWR

Joseph J Hickman:

Here we go. One MM award:

LG 13-3-1918

F/3055 Cpl. J. J. Hickman, Mdx. R. (Notting Hill).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Also:

DCM announcement:

LG 19-11-1917

F/5055 Pte. J. J. Hickman, Midd'x R. (Notting Hill).

DCM citation:

LG 6-2-1918

F/3055 Pte. J. J. Hickman, Midd'x R. (Notting Hill).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an intense hostile bombardment of the left front of his battalion this man immediately volunteered to go along a communication trench, which was- at the moment under the most intense barrage, to obtain information. In order to gather the fullest information possible he proceeded on further to the company on the left of his own, and was the first man to return to headquarters to report that the enemy had

entered the line, although under heavy fire all the way. His courage and fearlessness throughout the bombardment were beyond

praise.

DCM Bar Announcement and DCM Bar Citation

LG 3-9-1918

F/3055 Cpl. (L./Sjt.) J. J. Hickman, D.C.M., M.M., Midd'x R. (Notting Hill, W.).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during five days' operations, notably when his platoon commander was wounded .and his platoon surrounded he fought his way out. In doing so he was attacked by -three of the enemy: the first he bayonetted, -the second he shot, and disposed of the third with the butt of his rifle. He set a magnificent example to the men of his company.

(D.C.M. gazetted 19th November, 1917.)

DCM 2nd Bar announcement:

War Office,

18th February, 1919.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of a Second Bar to the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the

undermentioned Warrant Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers, for gallantry and distinguished service in the field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be .announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable : —

3055 L./Sjt. J. J. Hickman, D.C.M., M.M., 2nd Bn., Midd'x R. (Notting Hill).

2nd Bar Citation:

LG 20-1-1920

3055 L./Sjt. J. J. Hickman, D.C.M., M.M., 2nd Bn., .Midd'x R. (Notting Hill)

For conspicuous gallantry and fine leadership. Prior to the attack on the enemy's trenches east of -Arleux on the 27th September, 1918, he was sent out with two rifle sections to cover the forming-up of the attacking companies. He was in position about thirty yards in front of an enemy outpost, and, with three men, rushed the post under a shower of grenades and bullets, killing two enemy himself and routing the remainder. This most gallant action enabled the attacking companies to form up unperceived.

(D.CM. gazetted 19th November, '1917.)

(1st Bar gazetted 3rd September, 1918.)

The Private/Corporal/Lance Sergeant MIC will be his DCM one.

The Corporal one will be his MM.

Can't find Frederick Shore, I'm afraid.

Steve.

Hello

I knew Stebie would find at least something!

Ian

Hello

I knew Stebie would find at least something!

Ian

Incredible Steve :D

Glyn

Steve,

Thanks again for your help. Like everyone else, I never ceased to be amazed by the way in which you pluck these things out of the LG! I did not find the MM because I wasn't expecting it to be gazetted in 1918... :ph34r:

The BWD records that Joesph Hickman was 'presented with honours' by Maj-Gen Walker VC on 8 December 1916 (assuming of course this was a medal of some sort). I assumed that this must have been his MM because he won his first DCM later in the war. Was it possible for such a long period of time to elapse before a MM was gazetted. I was under the impression that it was normally 3-4 months after the deed in question.

If this medal was not his MM, I wonder whether it could have been a foreign decoration, or something so blindingly obvious that it hasn't occurred to me yet. The other men 'presented with honours' at the same time were: Sgt Tim Calnan (MM gazetted 17/02/1917) and Cpl Frederick Shore (Nothing found).

When I have finished cross-referencing my battalion database with your list of Middlesex MMs, would you like details of which men served with the 17th Middlesex?

Regards,

AGWR

There has just been discussion on another topic, with I think Ken Lees enquiring about MMs, one won in 1916 but gazetted about a year later, so while I think most will be the usual three months, I think it's not as uncommon for there to be a big delay as we might think.

Topic here:

Yes please on the MMs, although my MM database is on hold for a while while my research heads off in different directions.

Steve.

Steve,

When I have finished my MM list and gone through the 1918 London Gazettes, I will send you biographical details of the 17th Middlesex MMs.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

AGWR