Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll of Honour

specialk

Hi

If someones name is in Roll of Honour book does that mean they died in the war. My husband's gr. Uncle William Mckenzie 671518 is in the Elgin book. It states that he was a bombardier in the Royal Field Artillery. He joined in Glasgow Oct. 1915. His D.O.B. is 26.2.1887. That is all I know about him. Can anybody add to this. Any information would be additional to what I have.

Cheers

Specialk

There are 95- -W.MCKENZIES in the CWGC site search and of those only 1 was RFA.

He was a Sjt. William Samuel Mckenzie no 40417 so I very much doubt this was he.

I am sure someone on this GWF will have the know how to help you!

Good luck..

Ivan.

He's listed on the NA Medal Index Cards as 671516

Medal card of McKenzie, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 671516 Bombardier

A link to his card is Here

Downloading the card may give you some additional details, such as Killed in action etc. but also may not.

I can't see him listed on the CWGC so I'm guessing that the Roll of Honour is for those 'that served' as well as those that paid the ultimate price.

Hope this helps

Steve

Not All Roll of Honour {or even War Memorials} exclusively commemorate the War Dead,some do record the local men & women,who "Also Served" & returned.

He's listed on the NA Medal Index Cards as 671516

Medal card of McKenzie, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 671516 Bombardier

A link to his card is Here

Downloading the card may give you some additional details, such as Killed in action etc. but also may not.

I can't see him listed on the CWGC so I'm guessing that the Roll of Honour is for those 'that served' as well as those that paid the ultimate price.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi

Thanks everybody who replied. I will request his medal card. I am sure there will be some additional information as we know very little about him.

Thanks meantime.

Cheers

Specialk

Hi

I requested the Medal Card for William Mckenzie. As stated by Steve, I might not gain anything. He was right. I did get the roll number of his Victory medal which is TF/RFA/111B. It is probably straight forward but what does TF stand for? (It may read TFIRFA)

Cheers

Specialk

I believe it stands for Territorial Force /RFA, but if I'm wrong somemone will soon put me right.

Regards

John

Hi

I requested the Medal Card for William Mckenzie. As stated by Steve, I might not gain anything. He was right. I did get the roll number of his Victory medal which is TF/RFA/111B. It is probably straight forward but what does TF stand for? (It may read TFIRFA)

Cheers

Specialk

Not sure about books but on this www I know for a fact the top chap was not KIA though it's entitled Roll of Honour.

Hope this helps.

Web Link

Not sure about books but on this www I know for a fact the top chap was not KIA though it's entitled Roll of Honour.

Hope this helps.

Web Link

Hi

Tried the site you suggested. I remember this site when I was looking for three great uncles, all brothers, who were killed in ww1 by the name of Catto. I could not find them either. They are in the same book. I did however find information on them on the War Graves Site and newspaper cuttings from their local area.

Thanks anyway for your time.

Cheers

Specialk