Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Back from France, Arras, Bucquoy/Rossignol

doogal

Some pictures....

OK, well not just yet then.

When I can finally get them to upload, they will be of the A view of the railway embankment at Fampoux. Attacked by the 4th Division in Early April 1917, part of the first Battle of the Scarpe, and also a shot of Fampoux.

Other bits and pieces will be of Gommecourt British Cemetery No2 and Rossignol Wood.

post-1634-1143804408.jpg

An Unknown Lance Corporal from the West Riding regiment in Gommecourt British Cemetery No2.

Probably one of three men:

L/cpl Standish

L/cpl Howarth

L/cpl Cawthorne

This was the inspiration for deciding to visit this part of the world.

We also visited the place where his body was re-discovered in 1919 on the fron line that held between Bucquoy and Rossignol Wood between 26th March 1918 and 31st March 1918.

When all the walking and talking was done, and we were about to leave the cemetery at Gommecourt and it rained for about five minutes:

post-1634-1143804969.jpg

The view from the edge of RW,looking outwards. The deer on the ridge are approximately where, in the late afternoon on March 27th 1918 a company of the West Riding regiment were decimated by what is belived to be a German mountain gun firing on them from RW. The West Ridings were crawling forwards to try to attain the ridge in order to get a better field of fire. The diaries report that the gun opened up at point blank from RW which wa to the rear of them. I think this picture is taken from roughly where this gun would have been sited - the gun may have been a little further to the right. The picture was taken late on the afternoon of 27th march 2006

post-1634-1143809384.jpg

Fampoux village. The 2nd West Riding Regiment took this village on the afternoon of 9th April 1917. The advance was towards the viewpont of the camera. The railway embankment is out of sight to the left, as is the site of the chemical works, which was the other side of the embankment.

post-1634-1143810130.jpg

A shellcase left at Rossignol Wood Cemetery (any ideas what it was from? - German or British etc)

Yes... it was most likely from a German or British artillery gun.

Cool pics... no smiling faces though, don't tell me you came back from vacation with only pictures of cemetaries and fields! :lol:

Andy

Thanks so much for the great pictures. Someday maybe I'll be able to "see for myself" but until then I really appreciate all the photos posted.

Ann

The view from the edge of RW,looking outwards. The deer on the ridge are approximately where, in the late afternoon on March 27th 1918 a company of the West Riding regiment were decimated by what is belived to be a German mountain gun firing on them from RW. The West Ridings were crawling forwards to try to attain the ridge in order to get a better field of fire. The diaries report that the gun opened up at point blank from RW which wa to the rear of them. I think this picture is taken from roughly where this gun would have been sited - the gun may have been a little further to the right. The picture was taken late on the afternoon of 27th march 2006

Doogal, Do you know which battalion of the Dukes this refers to?

Doogal

How strange is this,I was in Gommecourt cemetery last Fri and took this pic.

Doug

post-696-1143847526.jpg

Doogal, Do you know which battalion of the Dukes this refers to?

Hi, In this particular instance, it is the 5th Dukes (or 2/5th depending on how one views the mergers of 1918)

I'm aware that the 2/7th and 2/4th were in the line closer to Bucquoy, so would have been about 1000 metres away from this spot.

doogal

I've posted this link before, but I'm still impressed with the content. It discusses the trench raid in 1917 which led to the 25 or so North & South Staffs men buried in Rossignol Wood Cemetery (including 3 Tipton men in the 'front row' as you look at your photograph.

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/leonard.htm

Fantastic pictures Doogal, thanks for sharing them.

I found the Rainbow cemetery one very spooky, almost like the headstones were moving!

regards

Arm

Envious as ever

Doogal

How strange is this,I was in Gommecourt cemetery last Fri and took this pic.

Doug

:D Gommecourt is obviously the place to be for a good landscape photograph.

Where else did you see?

Fantastic pictures Doogal, thanks for sharing them.

I found the Rainbow cemetery one very spooky, almost like the headstones were moving!

regards

Arm

Envious as ever

Hi Arm,

it was in fact quite a pleasant place to be - what was strange/unusual for me was that when it rained, there were no hedges or trees to break up the rain, so the only sound was the rain on the back of the headstones, which made a significant noise.

doogal

:D Gommecourt is obviously the place to be for a good landscape photograph.

Where else did you see?

Doogal

It was a busy four days as well as Gommecourt we were at Abert, Serre,Beumont Hamel,Hawthorn Crater,Thiepval,Pozieres,Lochnagar Crater,Fricourt,Mametz,Mametz Wood and High Wood. A busy time very sore legs with all the walking but very enjoyable,I took over 240 photographs.

Regards Doug.

Doogal

I like this pic of Thiepval memorial in the distance.

Regards Doug.

post-696-1144154289.jpg

Doogal

I like this pic of Thiepval memorial in the distance.

Regards Doug.

That photograph alone has to be worth the all the walking and the 240 photos.

doogal