Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to understand this right

LynneBee

On a Family history sight someone asked about service numbers for naval personel

from what I could understand then was that my uncles number Service No: 219128 was issued after 1894 and that the number showed where he was on the ship ie in his case "Seamen and Communications ratings"

so that would make him a career sailor as he had this number when he was killed.

now regarding the other uncle

Service No: K/2977 this was issued between 1908 and 1923 " K 1 - K 63500 Stokers" so he could have been a career sailor as well and as he was a Petty Officer i assume this is the case.

Am I right in my thinking ????

You get my vote for accuracy. I am pretty sure both would signe don for a minimum of 12 years. If they have been short service they would have had a SS number and this would mean they served 7 years in the RN and 5 years in the RFR/RNR.

Both men were regular navy or career sailors. Both signed on for an initial 10 years, at the end of that time they could sign on for another 12 years "to complete" for pension. That time started when they were 18, but they could join at 14+ and go to sea at 16 (no need to lie about your age), which your 1st uncle did, because he entered in 1902. In 1914 he seems to have gone into the Royal Fleet Reserve, before being recalled only to die at the Battle of Coronel.

Your 2nd uncle joined in 1909 and also signed on for 10 years. If he was on H.M.S. Mary Rose for her full commission, then he served at the Battle of Jutland. He'd done well to be promoted to Stoker Petty Officer by 1917, before he died as the ship defended her convoy.

Service registers for both of them are available online or at Kew in ADM 188. Btw you only need to put in the number like K2977, as naval numbers were unique.

Short Service contracts had been introduced in 1903: 5 years in the Navy and then 7 in the RFR, but your 2nd uncle had also signed on as a career sailor.

Any more sailors that you're looking for?

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

I only have one more and he was in the 2nd war C/JX 228643,ELWYN BARTLETT EVANS S.S. Pelayo, Royal Navy he I am sure was not a career sailor as he was a bank clark.

Many thanks for the help the navy is all new to me as I come from the other forces, funny how some managed the lumpy sea and others like my side of the family feel sea sick in the bath.

I suppose it was because they came from the side that were waterman and Lightermen I shall go have a hunt at that place you gave me,

His number shows that EVANS was also amungst the "Seamen and Communications ratings" with Chatham as his home port. As an Ordinary Signalman in 1942, he was definately not career navy or reservist as it was a rank that sailors only help for about 2 years.

I can't help you with service records, as they haven't been released.

June 15 1942 - At 0433, U-552 fired three torpedoes at the convoy HG-84 west of Cape Finisterre, observed hits after 45 seconds and 1 minute 32 seconds and heard a detonation after 1 minute and 55 seconds. Two ships, the City of Oxford and the Thurso were hit and sunk. The master Alfred Norbury, 36 crewmembers and six gunners from the City of Oxford were picked up by the British rescue ship Copeland, transferred to corvette HMS Marigold, transferred to sloop HMS Stork and landed at Liverpool. One crewmember was lost

- At 0058 & 0059 hours on 15 Jun 1942, U-552 attacked the convoy HG-84 west of Corunna and sank three ships, Etrib, Pelayo and Slemdal. The master, 34 crew members, four gunners and two passengers (DBS) from the Etrib were picked up by the British corvette HMS Marigold, transferred to the British rescue ship Copeland and landed at Gourock on 20 June. Two crewmembers and two gunners were lost

- At 0058 and 0059, U-552 attacked the convoy HG-84 about 400 miles WNW of Corunna and sank three ships, Etrib, Pelayo and Slemdal. The Pelayo was the ship of the convoy commodore H.T. Hudson RNR RD. The commodore, eleven crewmembers, three gunners and two naval staff members were lost. The master, 24 crew members, two gunners and three naval staff members were picked up by the British rescue ship Copeland and landed at Gourock on 20 June. Slemdal was torpedoed in the foreship on the starboard side and sank about 90 minutes later. 20 survivors were picked up by HMS Marigold and 17 survivors by the British rescue ship Copeland and landed at Gourock on 20 June

- SS Thurso sunk by U-552 at 43.41N, 18.02W

http://www.seawaves.com/newsletters/TDIH/june/15Jun.txt

Many many thanks for that "per ardua per mare per terram" I have now a little history of the sailors that died for us.

All part of the service! If you download their service registers some pals can identify details for you.