Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte James Slatter 11133 Royal Fus, then RW Kents

Ian Underwood

Hello,

Pte James Slatter 11133 Royal Fus, then Royal West Kents G/18710 is the last of my relatives to be researched. Unfortunately his records are missing, but the MIC provides the follwing date of entry into France, 31/7/15. Its appears to be a good match to the 11th Battalion, who formed at Hounslow on 6.9.14. He was an Iver, Bucks lad.

At some time he was transferred to the RW Kents and given the number G/18710. Was there a particular mass transfer of men from the Royal Fusiliers into the RW Kents at some stage, or indeed from other regiments?

The only info I have of his is this from the family history, and the photocopies attached.

"When the First World War began Uncle Jim 's mother would not let him join but all his mates had joined up and the girls gave him a white feather so he joined up and broke his mother's heart. Jim was wounded in the war."

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

ian.

post-896-1143717443.jpg

The 11th Sounds possible. The 7th Bedfords (same Brigade) left UK 26th though, which is why im not 100% certain ...

As for the transfers, I couldnt say Im afraid. If he was wounded, its a possibility that he was transferred to the RWK's when recovered of course ...

The 11th Sounds possible. The 7th Bedfords (same Brigade) left UK 26th though, which is why im not 100% certain ...

Steve, thanks for the info. I think the 11th is a good fit myself. Its a pity that I can't confirm but it's close enuff for my research. I may try and get the medal roll of course.

cheers

Ian.