Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 1783 Arthur Saunders MM

Ken Lees

I have recently been shown some medals, still in possession of the family of the recipient, and I have been asked to find out a little more about the recipients.

Firstly, Pte 1783 Arthur Saunders, 1/7th Sherwood Foresters. He was awarded the MM and was subsequently killed in action on 1st July 1916. He was presumably reported missing initially and eventually presumed KIA as he was renumbered in 1917 265191.

I have the CWGC & SDITGW details. Can anyone give me the Gazette date for his MM? Any Sherwood Foresters enthusiasts able to give me any background to the award or on the battalion action on the opening day of the Somme?

Secondly, the brother of the above was killed just a couple of weeks later:

Private 24400 Francis Frederick Saunders, "C" Coy, 15th Bn. Sherwood Foresters, killed in action 17th July 1916. He is buried at Guillemont Road cemetery.

Again, any information on the unit's activities on the day of his death would be appreciated.

And finally, there was another medal with this family collection, a British War Medal, to Pte 55407 J Saunders, Northumberland Fusiliers. This is presumably a relative of the two above, who survived the war. Any information about him would be gratefully received by the family.

Firstly, Pte 1783 Arthur Saunders, 1/7th Sherwood Foresters. He was awarded the MM and was subsequently killed in action on 1st July 1916. He was presumably reported missing initially and eventually presumed KIA as he was renumbered in 1917 265191.

I have the CWGC & SDITGW details. Can anyone give me the Gazette date for his MM? Any Sherwood Foresters enthusiasts able to give me any background to the award or on the battalion action on the opening day of the Somme?

Arthur Saunders Pte 265191 formerly 1783: 1/7th (Robin Hood) Btn London Gazette 28.7..1917 (kia 1.7.16 during the attack on Gommecourt)

Stuart

source British gallantry Awards - Sherwood Foresters

Ken,

I'm not going to be about for a few days and I haven't got the time to check this thoroughly tonight. However if you don't get many more responses from the 'Forester Crew' (which I confidently expect you will) send me a PM reminder next week and I'll put something together for you on both of them. Couple of quick things though....

For more info on what Saunders experienced on 1st July, click on the 'Herbert Burman' link in my signature. There's a little photo of him in the book Stuart quoted. Interesting that the Gazette date is almost 13 months after his death!

Ken

The 1901 census shows brothers Frank (aged 3) and Arthur (5) lving with their parents at 2 Kensington Square, Nottingham. Also there is a third son, John, aged 2.

I wonder if he is the "J Saunders" on the medal?

Stuart, Andrew, Stephen,

Thank you all for the responses to date.

I will be able to give the family far more information than they expected based on your pointers.

Stuart, do you have access to "British gallantry Awards - Sherwood Foresters"? If not, does anyone know where I might find a copy for the picture of Saunders?

Andrew, that is an excellent account in relation to Philip Burman. More background than I could have imagined and the majority of it will apply equally to Saunders.

Stephen, I suspect that "J Saunders" may well be the younger brother of the two. That would explain why he wasn't in the same unit as his elder brothers - a conscript.

Thanks again. Any more information would be welcome.

Ken,

Regarding your reply above - sorted.

Check PM pse.

A search on this Forum on "Gommecourt" should reveal a post by, sorry I forget the name, who uploaded some very interesting trench maps etc of that location.

Stuart

Ken,

Here is an interesting bit, unless proven wrong, it looks like the MM was presented to Arthur's mother by General Sir John Maxwell at a presentation ceremony somewhere in The Midlands. Paper date 18th January 1918. The image is the best I can manage.

Stuart

Ken

All that I can add is that Arthur Saunders arrived in France in February 1915 (around the 25th), so more than likely he would have been a pre-War Territorial

Mike