Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Tom Dean Spts 4091 Royal Fusiliers

molar

I have been told people on this site will be able to help.

my grandfather was Tom Dean and like many WW1 veterans did not speak much about the war but since I started researching family history I would love to know more.

Granddad was born and brought up in the Newton Heath/Failsworth areas of Manchester. I have been told this was a sportsmans batallion but as far as I know Granddad was not particulary sporting, but I suppose they had to have some ordinary folk as well.

Before Granddad died he destroyed what few bits of memorabilia he had. Amongst these was a letter from the mother of a young boy who had enlisted under age and was terrified. Granddad had written to her and this enabled the young boy to be returned home. The letter expressed her thanks.

Any help on where I go next or any information would be most welcome.

Thank you

Linda

Hi Linda and welcome

First stop would be the NRA there are a number of Tom Dean's listed but if he were in a sports regiment the I think this must be him. Tom Dean's medal card can downloaded online for £3.50 from the NRA. It will have some information on which may help your seach. You can also try the 1901 census or freebmd at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...ype=powersearch

Medal card of Dean, Tom

Corps: Royal Fusiliers

Regiment No: Spts 4091

Good luck

Phil

The SPTS prefix indicates that he enlisted in the 23rd or 24th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers and the number points to a late 1915 enlistment.

Charles M

Thank you

I have the medal card but it does not give any extra info. I do have granddad on 1901 as well.

How can I find out more info about the 23rd or 24th battalion?

Regards

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

As the no. relates to a late 1915 enlistment would that mean it was the 24th btn?

Is there any way I can find out for certain?

regards

Linda

I dont know about the details of enlistment but there is a book, reccommended to me by the Royal Fusiliers Museum in the Tower of London, called ' The Royal Fusiliers In The Great War '. I have ordered it myself from Amazon and am awaiting it to arrive. You could also get a day by day account of their actions on a daily basis from the NA by obtaining the battalions war diary online. I did it for the 4th Bn. RF.