Buried Pine Ridge Memorial Park, Vic, Aus

a very important man

with a very important job

You may not have left our shores

But you still took up the call

And did your bit - and gave your life

The most precious gift of all

Rest in Peace Norman.

Thanks frev. Will have a drink to his memory tonight.

It's strange but I couldn't find him on the AWM honour roll. Do you know much about Pine Ridge Memorial Park?

Cheers

Andrew

Pine Ridge is a large cemetery in Melbourne and it was formerly known as Coburg General Cemetery. It has 158 WW1 Commonwealth War Graves and 21 from WW2.

I have never been there but it is the site of my first success in getting a previously uncommemorated soldier added to CWGC's list and a CWGC headstone erected. He was a young man from my village in Sussex who happened to be in Australia on outbreak of war and joined the Ozzie army only to die in training. I intend to visit on my next trip to the city - one day!

post-19-1143710824.jpg

Thanks for the cemetery info Terry - I knew it had something to do with the Coburg Cemetery - thought it must have been a section of it. Have just discovered that it is today known as Coburg Pine Ridge Cemetery, Cnr Bell & Elizabeth St, Coburg.

Terry - If you happen to visit Coburg before I do - which isn't as unlikely as it sounds - one of Jim Strawbridge's ladies is buried at Coburg Cemetery - must be in the general section, as she's not listed among the 158 WW1 graves. VAD May DICKSON d.4/10/1917. (and he still needs a photo of her grave)

Back to our friend Norman. Just found out today that he was born in 1894 at Lake Charm, near Kerang in country Victoria. He was the son of Robert Embleton/Embelton & Elizabeth Moore, and the youngest of their 5 children. Norman was only 20 when he died. Can't help wondering what he died of. (meningitis could be a possibility I guess).

Thanks for the comment Michael - I thought it a little corny - but heart-felt just the same!

Andrew - I'm going to have a glass of wine dedicated to Norman tonight - feel free to have another if you'd like. ;)

Cheers, Frev

Just thought I'd add the following (seeing it took me so long to find it - NA had a little typing error & listed him as EMBERTON!)

Anyway, one of Norman's older brothers also went to war.

David Moore EMBELTON. He was born in 1887 at Lake Charm and went into the medical profession - so when he enlisted in Nov 1914, he went into the AAMC. Luckily for the family, he did go home, in 1919 - and by this time he was a Major, had been mentioned in despatches twice & awarded the O.B.E.

Cheers, Frev.