Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Duke Of Wellingtons(West Ridings)

mmm45

Hi

Can someone let me know what 8th Batt WRR were up to around 12th August 1915. Have conflicting Theatres from SDGW and CWGC on 14430 Pte A E Coomber.

SDGW says KIA F and F,

CWGC says on Helles memorial Gallipoli just trying to confirm which is incorrect.

Thanks

Ady :)

8th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, landed at Suvla Bay, 6th August 1915. The 8th Battalion was part of the 32nd Infantry Brigade in the 11th Northern Division. The 8th Battalion was quite lucky to get there at all, early in the voyage a torpedo was reported to have missed their troopship by a matter of yards.

Plenty of local 1914 volunteers in the 8th Battalion.

Tony.

Guest gumbirsingpun

as tony said, the Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment landed at suvla bay on the 6th o August,1915.

and when the allies wir forced to withdraw at gallipoli, 8 DWR were sent to egypt, where they remained until 1916, affore returnin to france.

what cwgc says is correct

tuna

I see the name of Lance Corporal William Thomas Sidney Smith is up there. The only connection I can find to Holmfirth is that his name appears on the local memorial, complete with those distinctive initials. Also his number is very close to the Holmfirth men who died with him. But every other meagre scrap of information points towards London.

Tony.

Tony

According to sdgw (pt 38 old fashion paper version) Lance Corporal William Thomas Sidney Smith was born Chelsea enlisted huddersfield and lived in fulham.

It is the same man alright.

He is named on the Hepworth section of the memorial, and these four men are in the Netherthong section. Huddersfield is about seven miles from Holmfirth and there was a rail link. So I am assume he must have worked in Huddersfield and lived at Holmfirth with his family home still being in London. Unfortunately several pages of the Holmfirth Express were so badly photographed when it was transferred to microfilm that they are impossible to read, and they are all pages that fall into the time period when Gallipoli casualties were being reported I should be able to recover usable copies of these from the British Newspaper Library at some point, and hopefully that will show the connection.

William Thomas Sidney Smith 14295

Abel Helliwell Schofield, 14241

Charlie Woodhead 14331

David Wilkinson 14391

Walter Haywood 14409

All 8th Battalion.

Thanks,

Tony.