Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V.13 Trench Mortor Battery, RGA

rhimsl

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with this one. My understanding of the TMB's is that the number they had, ex. 13th TMB, corresponds with the Division they were attached to. In this case it would be the 13th Division. However, the 13th TMB doesn't seem to show up as part of the 13th Division. Also, the Private I am reserching who was with the 13th TMB was KIA March 28, 1918 near Arras. I believe the 13th Division was in Mesopotamia at that time. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks/Cheers,

Robert

Robert,

The TMB's designated 'V' are Heavy Trench Mortar Batteries manned by R.G.A. and appear to be Corps Troops. 'V/XIII HTMB' to give it's correct designation was attached to XIII Corps by November 1918.

Medium Trench Mortar Batteries manned by personnel of the R.F.A. were designated 'X' & 'Y' MTMB's. The two batteries attached to the 13th Div were 'X.13' was formed on 25/7/1918, but abolished on 24/11/1918.

A second battery 'X.13A' began to form on 18/9/1918, but it was also abolished on 24/11/1918. They were equipped with 4x 6inch Newton Trench Mortars.

The 13th Division also had Light Trench Mortar Batteries manned by infantry personnel. They reached the Division on various dates and were originally designated as;-

'G' LTMB joined Div 13/1/1917 and joined 39th Bde until transferred to 38th Bde 7/10/1917 and designated '38th Bde LTMB' 18/2/1918.

'H' LTMB formed Feb 1917 for 36th Bde/16th(Indian)Div. Transferred to 39th Bde and became '39th Bde LTMB' on 18/2/1918.

'I' LTMB formed March 1917 and joined 40th Bde on 23/9/1917. Became '40th Bde LTMB' 18/2/1918.

All were equipped with Stokes Mortars.

Graham.

PS

Could you possibly be looking at 13th Bde LTMB, which formed part of 5th Division, they were at Arras in 1917?

Robert,

I struggled with the same problem when I started researching my grandfather.

He was K.I.A. while serving in the 'V' 59th T.M. Battery R.F.A. and buried at Templeux-le-Guerard.

My understanding now is that the 'V' stands for Heavy, and 59th is the Division the Battery was attached to.

Cheers: Terry