Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Jarvis Cave Thorn RFC

kingsnorth36

I am doing some research on Lieut Thorn of 84 Squadron who died of wounds received following a fierce air battle on October 30th 1918, I was wondering if he was claimed as a victory by one of the opposing pilots ? October 30th saw the largest air battle in the whole war.

2Lt H J C Thorn, from Marylebone, London, was flying SE 5a B7902 of No 84 Sqn RAF [the RFC and RNAS were combined into the RAF on 1 April 1918] on an Offensive Patrol which departed Bertry West aerodrome at 0900 on 30 October 1918. He was last seen going east over Etreux; he died of wounds on 31 October.

When flown by 2Lt D C Rees of No 84 Sqn, B7902 was involved in two successful attacks on enemy kite balloons, one on 14 September and the other on 24 September.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

• 4 weeks later...

I have just been added some more research to Harold Jarvis Cave Thorn. It sought of sums up the tragedy of the desperate air war. He was mortally wounded on October 30th, a tragedy in that it was not only the most desperate day in history for air combat thus far, but also it was his twentieth birthday!

Puts all of our problems into context really.