Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. G.P. Nunneley 4/Bedfordshire

judyruzylo

G.P. Nunneley was a Major by the time he was killed on the 27 March 1918. I am hoping to find some more information about him. He enlisted with the 4/Bedfordshires and was attached to the 1/Lancashire Fusiliers at some time prior to the Battle of the Somme. I understand the 4/Bedfords were a reserve battalion so I don't know if he was attached from Felixstowe directly or what. He reattaches to the 4/Bedfords in March 1917. Can anyone help me determine when he joined the Lancashire Fusiliers (they appear to have no record of it )

Thanks

These entries from the London gazette may be of use:

London Gazette #28890, dated 3 Sep 1914.

4th Battalion, The Bedfordshire Regiment,

The undermentioned to be Lieutenants: —

George Paterson Nunneley, late Captain, 3rd Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West

Surrey Regiment). Dated 20th August, 1914.

Link to Gazette is Here

Awarded the Military Cross, London Gazette #29765, dated 26 Sep 1916.

Capt. George Paterson Nunneley, Bed. R., Spec. Res.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. Though wounded early in the attack, he remained in command of his company, and handled it with great skill under very trying circumstances.

Link to Gazette is Here

London Gazette #30106, dated 1 Jun 1917.

Bedf. R.—

Capt. G. P. Nunneley, M.C., to be acting Maj. whilst empld. as Maj. on Hd.Qrs., from 24th Mar. to 5th Apr. 1917.

Link to Gazette is Here

Another one.......

London Gazette #30256, dated 28 Aug 1917.

Bedf. R.—Capt. G. P. Nunneley, M.C., to be actg. Maj. whilst empld. as Maj. on Hd.-Qrs. 30th Apr. 1917.

Link to Gazette is Here

Can't help with his attachment to the Lancashire's though.

Steve

Im sure I have something on him somewhere but cant put my hands on it so far. Bear with me a while ...

Looks as if his service file exists at the National Archives...

WO339/27198 NUNNELEY G P, Major 1914-1918; 1924.

Steve

He's also remembered on the Haileybury School website.

Here's the link to the Haileybury Website, You'll obviously need to go to the Great War section.

Steve

Also found this on an earlier forum thread, courtesy of Steve Fuller (hope you don't mind me reposting it Steve) and detailing the 4th battalions movements in March 1918, Major Nunneley's death being mentioned 27 Mar 1918.

MARCH 1918

21 Mar 1918 - 2nd line defences near Ribecourt-la-Tour Enemy attacked and captured front line posts. Brigade were withdrawn to 2nd line defence.

22 Mar 1918 - Havrincourt Wood Withdrawal to Havrincourt Wood.

23 Mar 1918 - Ytres At noon, the Batt. retired again through NEUVILLE to YTRES. Lieut. W.S. Davis killed. 2.Lt. M.A.Kruger came up with rations, since been missing; probably prisoner.

24 Mar 1918 - Courcelette Overnight the Batt. having withdrawn to R.E. dump N. of YTRES, retired under heavy M.G. Fire through BARAST [sic] - to BOULENCOURT [sic] where they remained for 2 hrs. and after firing all but withdrew as a rearguard, provided by A Coy. to BAZENTIN-LE-PETIT and then to COURCELETTE, where the Batt. stopped overnight. Lt. Girling wounded. 2/Lt. Cowell missing, Capt.Nixon, 2/Lts.Vincent, Green, missing.

25 Mar 1918 - Thiepval Batt. advanced on HIGH WOOD and formed a defensive flank, when all ammunition had been expended and fighting to the last, they retired to THIEPVAL and took up a position on the ridge. 2/Lts.R.C.FYNN, A.HAYES were killed. 2/Lt.A.Bland wounded.

26 Mar 1918 - Bouzincourt Batt. marched to AVELUY WOOD where they were informed they were relieved by 12 Division and were marched to and billeted in a wood W of ENGLEBELMER. At 6.30 p.m. orders were received to move as an advance guard to BOUZINCOURT.

27 Mar 1918 - west of Albert Batt. was moved south to a position W of ALBERT where they attacked the Railway at 7.30 a.m. Lt.Col. J.S.COLLINGS-WELLS, D.S.O. MAJOR G.P. NUNNELEY, 2/Lt. D.H.MACKLIN, 2.Lt. O.J.SOAMES killed, Lts.C.KEITH-JOHNSTON M.C. J.B. PRIMROSE-WELLS. 2.Lts. L.HAMBLING & W.BROUGHTON wounded. Capt.L.G.PLUMBLY M.C. took over command of the Batt. temporarily from this date.

28 Mar 1918 - Forceville Batt. was relieved at 3.30 a.m. and marched to SENLIS, billetted there until 11 a.m. and then marched to MAILLY-MAILLET wood, then on to billets in FORCEVILLE. Casualties from 20th inst. killed 21, wounded 88, 124 missing.

29 Mar 1918 23008 Pte. SLOUGH awarded M.M.

30 Mar 1918 Billets at FORCEVILLE reorganising.

Course not Steve ... now I remember, I was going to pull his file last week but ran out oftime!

He was KIA the same day as the indomitable Collings-Wells who was awarded the VC for his actions that same day. The Btn lost their 1st & 2nd I/C as well as a huge amount of men fighting a furious and amazingly brave rearguard action.

Hero's one and all ...