Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beersheba air raid

Guest Bill Woerlee

Thanks Steve,

Much appreciated info. I'd love to check out the books with the Khuweilfeh action you mentioned if you could point me in the right direction, is it just the unit history?

Cheers

Yes its a start, as well as war diaries and unit histories for units of the 1st ALH Bde

The good book is also of interest, (Aust Offical War History vol VII by Gullet

Thanks Steve

Hi all,

I only learned recently of my wife’s great great grandfather (Arthur Stanley Lehey) who was TPR Claude Leahy’s brother. Arthur was killed 20 Sep 1917 in the Battle for Menin Rd as part of 5Bn. Trying to piece together the history. The account of the air raid is fascinating. Earlier today I found an eyewitness account of Claude’s death. Strangely the dates seem out: I believe the air raid was on the 28th, and that Claude was killed immediately, whereas his death is recorded as occurring on 31st. Currently I’m trying to determine if he is in a marked grave. I’m also trying to find out how Arthur was killed, if anyone has the research skills. His number was 2849B. Found a reference to where he was buried on the battlefield, but recorded officially as no known grave.

The spelling difference I suspect may be due to the boy’s father abandoning his family when the boys were young. While Arthur kept the “Lehey” spelling, it appears Claude adopted “Leahy”.

IMG_1183.png

Edited by Bowie
Add file

No the raid was the 31 Oct 1917 during the battle of Beersheba

As Police and researchers know, eye witness accounts can and are often incorrect as regardes dates.

The raid is well known and recorded, as is the battle, and there are many accounts of it.

And he was killed when C Sqn + 3 LH MGS was hit by a bomb in the afternoon 

It was just one of a number of raids carried out to support the Ottoman 3rd Corps during the day, from German airfields around the area.

The 9th ALHR began its move to Beersheba on the 28 Oct at 3pm (1500hrs) to Tel el Fara, which it rereached at 5.30pm (1730hrs).

There was no attack during its march to Beersheba over the next few days. see the unit histoy "With the Ninth Light Horse in the Great War" by Darley page 98

PS

Sorry I must have missed some of your question

I record him as

LEAHY    Claude Michael    2815    Pte    9 LHR    20R to Isol camp 8-16 to 3 LHTR 9-16 tos B Sqn 10-16 to hosp (septic sores - scabies) 1-17 rtn to C Sqn C Troop 5-17 killed in air attack at Beersheba buried by Chaplain Lapthorne at Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine Ex 5R/27Bn (1897) DNE (Port Pire 3Sqn/9 LH (VMR) CMF) brother Arthur Lahey 5Bn KIA     9 LH    Butcher    23    Yanac Nth Vic    24-6-15    KIA 31-10-17    Nhill Vic

A check of the grave register should tell you what grave he's in.

Edited by stevenbecker