Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Lionel Read RFC

Guest stevebec

I tried to get info on this man on another site but no luck, could you help with this AIF soldier commision into the RFC.

This man is also known by his real name of Alfred John Lionel Lee.

He was granted acommision in the RFC 16th March 1917 and shown brought down and POw in Germany. He escaped to UK in 1918 and went back to Flying.

I have two dates of capture?

His pow doc's show captured at Moorslede 12th August 1917 interned at Karlsruhe by Germans 8th September 1917 another document shows his capture date as the 13th December 1917.

His Sqn is shown as 67 Sqn AFC now this sqn was in Palestine not France and there is a reference to 69 Sqn AFC but I could find no record of him in this Sqn.

Do you know What Sqn, when and where he was shot down and by whom?

Thanks for any insight.

S.B

Have had a look through Officers Taken POW and there is one 2nd Lt L Read RAF reported as missing on August 12th 1917 and repatriated on December 12th 1918.

No other info given I'm afraid.

Bob.

Thanks Bob,

Then he never escaped from the Germans.

I 'll have to get back to you as the info supplied to me must be wrong or I'll get there sourse just in case.

Thanks mate.

S.B

2Lt L Read of No 1 Sqn RFC was flying Nieuport 17 B3482 when brought down and captured on 12 August 1917 after combat with 7 enemy aircraft over Moorslede. The victory was credited to Vzfw Willi Kampe of Jasta 27. 2Lt Read was the first of Kampe's eventual 8 victories.

After promotion, OfStv Kampe was killed in action on 8 March 1918, probably in combat with Sopwith Dolphins of No 19 Sqn RFC.

Further to my earlier post, I wonder if the confusion regarding 2Lt Read's unit may have something to do with No 1 Sqn, Australian Flying Corps being the former No 67 (Australian) Sqn, Royal Flying Corps.

Perhaps someone, somewhere, has assumed that an Australian in a No 1 Sqn was probably in No 67 Sqn RFC/No 1 Sqn AFC, rather than No 1 Sqn RFC.

I hope that makes sense.

Doph your a beauty,

Makes perfect sence.

I am confirming the info about him escapeing from Germany, it comes from a mate doing the local history of his town in Australia, that the local story or Family story about this man.

We all know how much trouble there is in Family stories.

Thanks again.

S.B