Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Ford - 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt

rozgroggins

I have been searching for 15 years on and off now for some kind of record of my grandfather Thomas Ford/e. He was born in Ireland around 1873 and moved over to England when he was old enough to, on his own. He was in the army, and was wounded - losing a finger and a toe on one side of his body. He also had shrapnel in his head. My mam and brother always thought he was in the Coldstream Guards, so I searched there, with no success years ago.

I know think that he was in the Warwickshire Regt because I have a medal roll printout which I sent for years ago with a Thomas Ford on it. It also says he was in the Labour Corps which would make sense.

My mam was talking lately to her brother, who remembers their father telling him about going back to Ireland to visit his family. He was wearing his RED uniform jacket, and his father threw boiling water at him and chased him from the house. This ties in with the medal details I have - he also received 2 medals, they said DCM and MM, but I know think they were wrong.

This Thomas Ford has the silver war badge, and maybe another?

I am hoping either somebody comes forward and says that Thomas Ford is the one I am looking for, or even that he is their relation, so I could then eliminate him from my sources. I hope it's the former as I could then progress.

Does anybody recognise these details?

Roz

Hello

welcome

If he was born 1873 he would have been 41 in 1914 - thats quite an old soldier

Could the medals etc been before ww1 ?

No T ford in the Coldstream Gds got a MM or DCM in ww1 and no DCM for the boer war

Getting a swb is likely given his injuries - 2 medals for ww1 are most probably war and victory medal

Ian