Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attack on Jabbeke aerodrome

Regulus 1

Hi,

This day the aerodrome was bombed by planes from probably 211 Sqdn or 88 Sqdn, however they took another field close to it for the aerodrome and bombed this partially. Can anyone confirm which unit did this attack ?

Thanks and best from Johan :unsure:

Johan

ObSchrb Karl Schutz of MFJ II was KIA that day

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your reaction ! He was indeed, and during the bombardment on the field about 300 meters from the airfield my great uncle, who was a civilian, was also killed, while his mother was looking at the scene.

Also two other members of Marine Feldjasta 2 were wounded.

I've always been curious on what happened that day, but meanwhile I was able to find out it was 211 Sqdn that did the attack. The naval air report of the Marinekorps Flandern of that week is as good as unreadable unfortunately, so I'm trying to find out more via other sources...

Best from Johan

Johan,

The most easily available reference is useless - unfortunately, most of the Bombing information has been "edited out" of the book "RAF Communiques 1918", presumably because people only want to read about fighter aces.

Having said that, 211 Squadron is the only bomber squadron mentioned by name in the 21st May 1918 entry of the above mentioned book, but only for shooting down a 2-seater and a scout! In the summary at the start of the communique, there is a mention of the weight of bombs dropped, but the only targets mentioned are railway stations.

I would suggest you need a look at the full unexpurgated communique - I'm afraid I only have RNAS ones.

Mike

Chris,

Thanks for your reaction ! He was indeed, and during the bombardment on the field about 300 meters from the airfield my great uncle, who was a civilian, was also killed, while his mother was looking at the scene.

Also two other members of Marine Feldjasta 2 were wounded.

I've always been curious on what happened that day, but meanwhile I was able to find out it was 211 Sqdn that did the attack. The naval air report of the Marinekorps Flandern of that week is as good as unreadable unfortunately, so I'm trying to find out more via other sources...

Best from Johan

Johan

Just where is Jabbeke?

Chris

Hi Chris,

It's in the northern part of West-Flanders, the airport was along the main road Brugge (Bruges) - Gistel, so about 5 miles to the east of Brugge.

Hi Mike,

As you mentioned it, not much to find in the RAF Communique's of the 21st. But something typed afterwards in the reports show that the MKF knew it was 211.

Thanks and best from Johan

Johan,

I just thought to check up on the Pilot and Observer that were (probably optimistically) quoted as shooting down two defenders, these were Lt RFC Metcalfe and 2Lt DR Bradley.

According to the DH4/DH9 File, on the 21st May they were returning from a bombing raid on Varssenaere Aerodrome in DH9 B7604. After combat with 5 EA (no mention of any claim) they were shot down by AA fire and crashed on the Allied side of the lines - both officers unhurt, and the aircraft was rebuilt, getting a new serial F5847.

Mike

Mike,

Great, as always ! :) This is just the kind of confirmation I needed on this event ! And they were attacked by planes of the MFJ, who claimed two shot down (Sachsenberg and Wagner).

Thank you very much, and best from Johan