Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records on-line?

Duncan

It'll cost me a fortune to get a researcher to look up the burnt and un-burnt records for all the Victory Medals I have - and as like as such a large bill for hardly any records!

Anyone know if they will be made online, like the MIC's are?

Duncan.

Theyre busy asking for feedback at the moment, which i suspect will result in many asking for just that! Personally I dont see it being this year though mate as they seem to be furiously working on the diaries at the moment!

The project to microfilm the records presumably cost a fortune and is unlikely to be repeated, I reckon, for the foreseeable future. The original records are clearly in poor shape, judging by what can be seen on microfilm (although the WO364 and PIN26 series are in perfect order), and many may not stand too much more handling.

Easy in retrospect but I believe an opportunity was lost when the records were filmed rather than scanned. And how anyone could do it without compiling an index beats me.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all.

Thanks for answering a question that i was going to post.

I know i have been looking for ages to see wether i could get Oscars record from Kew online,or as a copy.

I know that it is up there as a paper record(thanks Mr Smith),but i still haven't made it up to Kew to have a look.

Time to learn how to use trains,and put the kids in boarding school.

All the best.

Simon.

Hello

when technology allows you to covert a film to digital (cheaply mind) by simply loading in a machine and pressing go then yes I think it will.

The hard bit is the indexing...

Ian

And how anyone could do it without compiling an index beats me.

I have often wondered about this. It wouldn't have taken that much time to input each individual's name and regiment into a database during filming. Definitely, an opportunity missed...

Regards,

AGWR