Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

July 1st 1916

Bantamenace

About 7:30am on a bright saturday morning, the men of the 1st and 2nd bradford pals were looking up the hill from Matthew Copse towards Serre, alongside other 'pals' regiments, they were to embark on a bloody encounter with the German line. Could anyone tell me which German Regiment defended Serre and how great was their number?

thanks

Dave

"Serre was defended on 1st July 1916 by men of 52nd Infantry Division under the command of Generalleutnant von Borries. This division was from Baden in the extreme SW of Germany. Its three Inf Regts were IR 169, IR 170 (from Baden)and IR 66(Prussian regiment from Magdeburg). Its main artillery support came from the 52nd Field Artillery Brigade, which comprised Field Artillery Regiments 103 and 104 and heavy guns from Foot Artillery Regiment 52. IR 169 did not produce a regimental history and that of IR 170 is in note form only, with a short article concerning 1st July 1916, which focuses almost exclusively on the activities of the regiment itself."

From Jack Sheldon's post at:

I do not know the composition of 1916 German Infantry Divisions, but Jack Sheldon provided "Some basic 1914 ORBAT info:" in my post:

Also of interest, "German Army on the Somme 1914-1916", By Jack Sheldon

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1143552426.jpg