Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Mounted Machine Gun Batt

mmm45

Hi

Can anyone give me any info on the Guards Machine Gun Batt.I am interested in LCPL T Keane who won a MM i have the LG entry but no more info except from SDGW and CWGC he was ex RIC.

Thanks

Ady :)

Do you know which of the Guards MGC units he was with - also what was the date of the MM ?

I have a couple of Guards MGC DCM's so have some limited information.

Simon

Do you know which of the Guards MGC units he was with - also what was the date of the MM ?

I have a couple of Guards MGC DCM's so have some limited information.

Simon

Am stumped as to what MGC unit he was with havent been able to find out much about them.He won his MM in 1918 and was in the LG in 1919 at present cannot find the link.

His number was 1115 KIA 1st April 1918 T Keane

Ady :)

Sorry to be pedantic .... again... but the inexactitude of terminology will hinder searches and others assisting!

There were two distinct formations:

1. The Machine Gun Guards

2. The Guards Machine Gun Regiment

The Machine Gun Guards were formed in 1915 (BEFORE the formation of the MGC) by the brigading of the Guards machine gun sections. The companies were grouped into a single battalion in 1917 (again, before the MGC got around to it). The Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed in May 1918 when units of the Household Cavalry were converted to the MG role, thus:

1st Battalion - From 1st Life Guards

2nd Battalion - From 2nd Life Guards

3rd Battalion - From Royal Horse Guards

4th Battalion - Re-designation of the Machine Gun Guards

5th (Reserve) Battalion - Former Guards Machine Gun Training Centre

There was considerable discussion whether the GMGR should be designated, in effect, the 'Sixth Regiment of Foot Guards' but this did not come to pass before disbandment in 1920.

The MGG and the GMGR were NEVER part of the Machine Gun Corps - they may have trained along simliar lines, and adopted similar organisation, but never came under its jurisdiction. (How very Guards, I'm tempted to say, but won't...)

If you have his medals and they're named MGG or GMGR, nice to have, indeed.