Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

death certificates

Lindsey

I would like to get the death cert of my g uncle, Percy Lilly, who was killed on 24/8/17 3rd Ypres and is buried at Gwalia Cemetery. Can any one tell me where i would obtain a copy? Would it be the GRO?

Thanks

Lindsey

Lindsey

You can apply direct to GRO specifying that it was an overseas death in action and location

If you find the volume and reference it may be slightly cheaper. [1837.com]

don't expect too much - when I got my grandfather's it did not tell me anything not already clear from the SDGW.

good luck

Alan

Thanks Alan, ive got a membership with 1837 so i will search the database. i wasnt sure if they were listed here on our records. thanks for the help. I have the info from SDGW but am currently compiling my family history, hence wanting the cert. many thanks

Lindsey

Hello Lindsay,

A search of 1837.com has thrown up an interesting issue.

There two men named Percy Lilly who died in 1917 according to the Death Registers. Both were in the RFA and their numbers were similar. However, CWGC only records one of these, so it may well be the same man.

The reference numbers are as follows

Percy Lilly Dvr 826302 RFA = 1917. A.8.118 buried at Gwalia Cemetery.

Percy Lilly Gnr 836302 RFA = 1917. A.2.394 Not Known On CWGC

I would assume that this is probably the same man and that a second certificate was issued because the first one contained incorrect details. There is only your Great Uncle recorded on the MIC's at the National Archives. He is shown as, Royal Field Artillery 3330 Gunner and later Royal Field Artillery 826302 Gunner.

It seems odd that after possibly getting his service number wrong they have shown his rank incorrectly on the amended certificate. You may not want to go to the expense of ordering both certificates but you may find it of interest.

Hope this helps.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Hi Paul

Yes they are the same man. Hovever, i came up with nothing on the 1837, you must be better at searching than me, im pretty new at this. i am assumintg the A8 118 and A2 394 ar the GRO ref no's? I will order both, as you say its curious there should be two and i am even more curious as to why. Thanks so much for the help, your a star!!!!

Lindsey

Where did you find him on the 1837?i looked at army deaths overseas and the uk, but nothing, obviously the wrong place but it would help me to know where to look for future use?

Look in Army Deaths (Other Ranks) 1914-1918.

Regards

PAUL J

Thanks Paul

I have found him now, or should i say both of them!!! I have ordered both certs form the GRO. Percy started off as a driver and later became a gunner. He was a territorial and records i have from the NA say he enlisted as a driver , but died as a gunner, somewhere near St Julien , nr the Steenbeek.

Dispatch date for certs isnt till April 3rd!! so ive a long wait. Never mind, another problem has been so helpfully solved through the kindness of the members of this forum, namley you this time. A big thanks from me. i have also learnt something new... about searching records, which is what its all about eh... lifelong learning!

Lindsey

I am very interested in death certificates but am a novice (female) at gaining info. can someone please explain GRO and 1837 to me. All I am trying to do is get a death certificate for my grandfather who was killled at the canal du nord on 27th. sept. 1918.There has been very little family interest so I don't even know if his name appears on a war memorial in london which is very sad. His name is inscribed on the Vis en Artois memorial which I have visited on several occasions but a certificate would complete my search. Any help would be gratefully received. thank you.

48386 Private Henry William Black 8th. Battalion Northumberland Fusilliers.

I think that if the soldiers body was never recovered , a death cert was not issued, unfortunatley for you.

On the 1837 site, look under 'overseas'. You will need credits to view the death index though which you can purchase on line. Hope this helps

Guest geoff501
I am very interested in death certificates but am a novice (female) at gaining info. can someone please explain GRO and 1837 to me. All I am trying to do is get a death certificate for my grandfather who was killled at the canal du nord on 27th. sept. 1918.There has been very little family interest so I don't even know if his name appears on a war memorial in london which is very sad. His name is inscribed on the Vis en Artois memorial which I have visited on several occasions but a certificate would complete my search. Any help would be gratefully received. thank you.

48386 Private Henry William Black 8th. Battalion Northumberland Fusilliers.

Here is the GRO reference for Pte Black . 1918, Volume I30, page 106 from the overseas death list.

Google should find the GRO website where I believe you can order the death certificate.

post-4982-1143840271.jpg

Geoff,You beat me too it, i found him too so he must have been 'found'

The reference you will need for the GRO is the year 1918, the Vol: I30 and the page: 106

You can order certs from the GRO on line at £7 each, its simple to do and they take about 2-3 weeks to arrive or you can download the form for applying by post.

so all you need is

his name, DOD 1918, Vol I30 and Page 106 to order, good luck!!!

the I is the letter i by the way.

Here is the GRO reference for Pte Black . 1918, Volume I30, page 106 from the overseas death list.

Google should find the GRO website where I believe you can order the death certificate.

post-4982-1143840271.jpg

thank you for your advice. I got onto the GRO site and have ordered the death certificate. Hopefully next year we will be able to go to the area on the canal du nord where granddad fell and pay our respects. My final task will be to find the war memorial in east london that bears his name. That, at the moment, is quite difficult to trace, but nothing ventured nothing gained,!!thanks again for your help. ---gone but not forgotten.