Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The mysterious "K" of CRA

Guest Bill Woerlee

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

In the book:

"Westralian Cavalry In The War" by ACN Olden, there is this quote in CHAPTER XXI, "PREPARING FOR THE SECOND GAZA BATTLE" at p. 136:-

"In due course the artillery experts arrived at the Sharta post and began to question the officer in charge. It may be mentioned as a striking circumstance that the commencement of the successful period of our Army in Palestine synchronised with our obtaining the mastery of the air in that theatre of war. "What is that high point?" was the first query of the General in charge of the party. "Ali Muntar, sir," came the reply. "Splendid! K—, my boy," turning to a certain C.R.A., "you can put a few cannon there" - indicating an arm of the Wadi Sheria - "and blow that place into the sea. What? " "Easily, sir!" replied the C.R.A., and the remainder of the party concurred. Noticing a somewhat dubious expression on the face of the Light Horse officer, the General asked - "Don't you think so?" "I'm not sure that it will be such an easy matter, sir," answered the officer. "Oh, indeed! And why?” "Well, sir, since you have asked me, that hill reminds me very much of Achi Baba. I remember Achi Baba was to be blown into the sea many times, but it always seemed to bob up again, serenely enough." A stiff "Good morning!" and the party moved off."

I am wondering if some knowledgable soul could give me two pieces of information. They being:

1. What is the CRA? The only thing I could think of was Commander or Colonel, Royal Artillery.

2. Who is "K"?

The clue we have is that the time is April 1917 and the place is outside Gaza. The batteries appear to belong to units co-operating with the Australian Light Horse. Indeed, I suspect that the Light Horse office is none other than Olden himself so I was guessing at the Notts Battery but it could also be Sussex or Inverness Battery. Anyway, I have no idea.

I leave it in your hands.

Advanced thanks for the kind souls who can help me.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

I have the first part answered:

CRA = Commander, Royal Artillery

Not far from what I had assumed.

I suspect that the general mentioned in the story is Brig Gen Sir Hugh Archie Dundas SIMPSON-BAIKIE, (1871-1924) of 21 Corps or his immediate predecessor as Simpson-Baikie might have still been with the Londoners - 60th Div - at Salonika.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

On more research I am now of the opinion that the person is the commander of either A or B Battery, HAC.

Just wonding if anyone knows of a list of officers in the HAC during the Gaza 2 engagement.

Cheers

Bill