Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers used by men called back from Reserve

kinnethmont

I have just been e-mailed a postcard dated 1912 which was sent to a local Gordon Highlander in India. I was aware this man had served with the 1st Gordons from c1904. It now appears he transferred to the 2nd as the post card is to him in C Coy of that Battalion. I am aware he came out prior to WW1 and went to Canada.

It is known that he was called back in 1914 and served with the 2nd Battalion as 9993. He fell in action at High Wood in 1916.

From the postcard, I now know his number in 1912 was also 9993.

When called back did an ex regular assume his former service number?

Kinnethmont,

From my own research into the Northumberland Fusiliers it would appear that Regular Reservists, who were called back were given their old regimental numbers back. Those Regular Reservists who were "time expired and discharged" i.e. having completed their time of Reserve engagement and who came back were classed as "new enlistments" and were issued new regimental numbers from the series currently being used at the unit Depot, which were issued by Officers i/c Regimental Records.

As an added interest those Volunteer/T.F. battalions which were entitled to a Sergeant Major, were to have one appointed from amongst the members of the Colour Sergeant Instructors of the Permanent Staff, who themselves were regular soldiers on attachment. As such the C.S.I. who was appointed "acting Sergeant Major" of the T.F. unit and he was to retain the regimental number that he had been issued on enlistment into the Regular Army. The same was applied to the Militia/Special Reserve.

Graham.

One of the lads on my local memorial was numbered 3/7737, definately not 317737 as I've checked on his MIC. He was in 1st Norfolks. I think I've read somewhere that reservists were sometimes put into their regiments 3rd battalion for admin purposes before being allocated a battalion on active service, hence the prefix '3'. I'm admittedly no expert but does anybody with a greater knowledge have any thoughts on this?

Greg

3rd battalions were, on mobilization, to absorb regulars who were underage, unfit, untrained, and also Special Reservists surplus to immediate requirements, and soldiers recovering from wounds or sickness. All such soldiers retained their original numbers.

Greg,

Grumpy is correct about the role of the 3rd(Res)Bn's and as he says they retained their original numbers, whether they came from either of the two regular battalions, regular reservists or Special Reservists. The 3rd(Res)Bn in effect became Depot Battalions taking everyone who hadn't enlisted into a locally raised(Pals) or Territorial Battalions.

Graham.

Graham

When you think about it, it makes sense to have the old number if called back. If you are in the Reserve you would still be on the " books " of your former regiment for the five years.

Thanks to all.