Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

colonel swayne

machin

Is it Lt Colonel O R Swayne RGA? If so I will be able to post some biographic details.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry

I'm not sure--he is mentioned in some wartime diaries I am editing. The mention is about the Compiegne Forest in Autumn 1914, and by that time there was a great eal of confusion of units due to the retreat. I would be very grateful for biographic details.

Lt Col Oswald Rocke Swayne RGA

DSO 1900. Born 25 Sept 1879 , 6th son of RA Swayne, Tillington Court nt Hereford. Married, 1904, Brenda, younger daughter of Arthur Brooklyn of Chiselhurst, Kent. Entered army 1899, Capt 1906. Served South African War 1899-1902. MID, QSA 4 clasps KSA 2 Clasps. Firrst World War 1914-1917 and 1918 -1919. MID and wounded. Brevet of Lt Col. Retired pay 1923.

Despatches, London Gazette 1 Jan 1916, 18 May 1917, 14 Dec, 1917. Entitled to 1914 Star.

Terry Reeves

Hi Tim

I expect you are referring to Lt Col Swayne who was C.O of 1st Somersets in 1914. He returned home ill in September. Afraid I am away from my records for a few days so cannot give you full information at the moment

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Tim

Home again

Lt Colonel Edward Hopton Swayne was C O of the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry at the outbreak of war. He became C O in November 1913.

Lt Swayne was gazetted in 1885 and served in the Burmese and South African wars.

As he was in poor health, he was advised to return to England in September 1914 and was succeeded by Major C B Prowse.

Brian

Tim

Home again

Lt Colonel Edward Hopton Swayne was C O of the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry at the outbreak of war. He became C O in November 1913.

Lt Swayne was gazetted in 1885 and served in the Burmese and South African wars.

As he was in poor health, he was advised to return to England in September 1914 and was succeeded by Major C B Prowse.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Major Prowse is mentioned a lot by Private Coward whose diaries I have been working on. He seems to have been a real soldier's soldier and he was much grieved over when he was killed at the Somme.

Tim