Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers

michaelwarlow

Hello,

I recently have been to the N.A and came across Edwin Warlow a great great uncle of mine who served with the 1st battallion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

I have a few questions if i may.

Attached is a picture i have found on the web of the 1st Battallion Welch Fusiliers in 1900 in South Africa - Would i be correct to assume that it must include my great great uncle. He served in South Africa 1899-1902 and won the following medals

Cape Colony, Transvaal, Tugala Heights & Relief of Ladysmith.

I know he was 5ft 7, blue eyes, brown hair and 122lbs and only 20 years old in 1900, not that it helps much in the picture.

Is this a common picture that someone may have names for?, and also where might i find more information about him and his service? is it available at the N.A?.

On the medal role it also shows him as going to the 2nd Btn Hong Kong on the 20.7.00 (thats what it seems to say to me anyway)

I would love to find out more about him, what he won the medals for etc

he also seems to have been promoted to provisional Lance corporal at some point and then demoted back down to private (from his papers), would the records of this be held anywhere?

Many thanks

Mike

post-7595-1143303322.jpg

What a superb photo; much more relaxed that most"regimental" pictures.

If his service records exists, the NA will hold it, as for the photo, it would be worth contacting the RWF museum - they may know much more about the photo, even names of the "sitters"

Stephen

Hi Stephen, I have his service records, about 6 pages of whats left of them. Just I would love to be able to find out more about him and about his service

hey, that's great

They should be able to tell you where he was born and the DOB; mopre details of his famly can also be found through the 1891 census records (on Ancestry.com) - another option is to check (through Google) whether there is a Warlow family history site.

These are the officers 1st RWF: I recognise some of them. The extreme left small officer is H Delme-Radcliffe, who commanded 2nd RWF at le Cateau and the Marne before being invalided.