Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Generals Hamilton and Snow

Tom Morgan

Could anyone point me in the direction of a website which gives biographical details for Generals H I W Hamilton and T D'O Snow? I've googled but without much success.

Grateful as always for any advice.

Tom

Tom,

If you go HERE on my Gommecourt web site and then click on the link to 'Slush' Snow' it will take you down to a link to a Snow biog.

Tom,

I have been researchiong both Generals over the last few years what sort of info do you want?

And why these two together?

Arm

bmac - thanks for the link - very useful.

Armourersergeant - a customer asked for "mini biographical details" on the three divisional commanders at le Cateau. He has no internet access so I offered to see what I could find on the web for him. I could only find details on one. That's why I am asking about the other two together.

I imagine that the sort of info which would be of interest would be dates of birth, death, schools attended, significant events in the man's life, that sort of thing.

Tom

Tom

Lt General Sir Thomas D'Oyly Snow:

KCB 1915, CB 1907, KCMG 1917. GOC Western Command 1918-19. Born 5th May 1858. Eldest son of General George D' O Snow of Langton Lodge, Blandford. Married 1897, Geraldine, 2nd daughter Maj Gen Talbot Coke of Trusley Manor, Derbyshire. Two sons. Educated, Eton and Cambridge, Entered army 1879, Somerset Light Infantry. Promoted Major into Royal Enniskilling Fusiliers. Brig Gen Eastern Command , 1906-1909., commandin 11th Infantry Brigade. Commanded 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regt. 4th Division, 1911 - 1915.

Served Zulu campaign 1879, Sudan Expedition 1884-1885., with mounted infantry of the Camel Corps; actions at Abu Clea and el Gubat (severely wounded). Sudan campaign 1898 as Brigade Major, British Brigade and afterwards to 1st Brigade , British Division. (MID twice and Brevet Lt Colonel).

1914-18 war, MID six times KCB, KCMG.Let Gen , 1918. Colonel, Suffolk Regiment, 1918-19. Colonel Somerset Light Ifantry, 1919-29. Retired pay 1920. Commander Legion of Honour, Grand Officier de l' Ordre de Leopold. JP for Dorset from 1905.

Terry Reeves

Tom,

If no one comes up with Hamilton in the mean time I will see what I can cobble together tomorrow. Have lots of notes etc but not put it all together yet. You seem to have what you need on Snow so will not bother on that front.

I also have a small story surrounding Hamilton that I published in the last WFA Northampton branch edition of our newsletter. Does not say too much about his life but something about his death

If you e-mail me i will send you our last newsletter.

regards

Arm

Daniel G. Dancocks, in 'Welcome to Flanders Fields' makes the statement that General Snow "had the reputation of being the rudest officer in the British Army".

The reference is not clear, but probably lies in comments made by Sir Arthur Currie in 1926. One wonders if this 'reputation' was held more by his detractors or his admirers.

The bit I have read of Snow's letters and despatches certainly suggest that he did not go out of his way to secure the warm regard of others.

Arm - email sent as requested - thanks very much.

James -

"The bit I have read of Snow's letters and despatches certainly suggest that he did not go out of his way to secure the warm regard of others."

Very elegantly put - I like it!

Tom

James,

You will find that if Currie was the originator of this comment then it would be due to the spat that he had Snow had during 2nd Ypres. Where Snow is aledged to have bawled out Currie for leaving his post and brigade to come and get help from Snow's command.

Depending on your point of view, Currie was wrong to leave hois brigade to fight the Germans or Snow was wrong to bawl him out in front of junior officers.

Being a 'follower' of Snow I am inclined to think that this moment was Currie's learning curve. He seems to have believed the worse of his brigades chances and was for a retreat! I think I am right thast when he returned the situation had changed and the men had returned to thieer positions. Snow apparently had also released some troops to help.

Snow seems not to have liked Currie seeming to tell him hoe to do his job!

Tom Snow is a complex character, of good and bad and of a blustery nature.

regards

Arm

Tom

Hubert Ian Wetherall Hamilton. Son of Lt General Henry Meade Hamilton CB. Died 14.10.14. Buried Cheriton (St Martin) Churchyard, Kent. Educated Haileybury. There is a photo of him on the Haileybury College website. I think there is more biographical information in the Hailbury Register 1862 -1994.

Terry Reeves

Chairman,

I have two photos of H Hamilton but would be interested in another if its different. I have tried to search for this school but get no where!!

Any Links?

regards

Arm

Cheers, blast got that one!

thanks

Arm

He has no internet access

The thought makes my blood run cold

How do people survive, there should be a government allowance or some such and they should set up help and councilling groups!

Arm

I can't see this mentioned but also Snow commanded the 27th Division from 19th Nov. 1914 to 16 July 1915.

Annette

Tom

If you want the information (including photo) from Bond of Sacrifice re Hubert Ion Wetherall Hamilton send me an email and I'll happily scan it and send to you.

Regards

Pam

The thought makes my blood run cold

How do people survive, there should be a government allowance or some such and they should set up help and councilling groups!

Arm

:D and agree

Cheers

Kim

PS You find all sorts of interesting things on this forum. Must learn more about this man, Snow.

Kim,

Snow for many is not a contravertial figure. His Great War record does not rep up well, Gommecourt being a success for letting the Germans know they are coming but a second attack and probably some bad planning not enhancing his nreputation.

However, and i do try to be impartial, the man is an enigma IMO, when you read about him from other sources he does seem as stated above to not care about what others thoughts of him, Montgomery thought him old and useless!, others say useless.

Yet he believed in getting about the men, though his injury hindered this, and pre war he was a leading light in new technics and training of troops. After the war he writes of not being well prepared and many making mistakes.

An Enigma to me a bungler to most.

Arm

After the war he writes of not being well prepared and many making mistakes.

An Enigma to me a bungler to most.

Arm

Sounds like a rare man, honest.

Cheers

Kim

Tom

If you want the information (including photo) from Bond of Sacrifice re Hubert Ion Wetherall Hamilton send me an email and I'll happily scan it and send to you.

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam, but before I saw your posting I printed out all the info I had and put it in the post! Thanks for offering, though, and thanks also to all other Pals who offered me help with this, on and off forum.

I have a copy of an intruiging correspondence between gen. Snow and Edmonds, who wrote most of the official British war history. Snow sheads his views on second Ypres and congratulates Edmonds with undertaking the task of bringing some kind of system or order in the whole evnt of the second battle of Ypres, as according to him there was no plan, order or system in it whatsoever. The correspondence should be in the national archives I think

regards,

Bert

I have not seen this document. It sound like a PRO document. I have seen some from Snow that refer to 1914.

Is it a long doc, too long to scan and e-mail? :rolleyes:

regards

Arm