Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

michaelwarlow

Hello,

Another post on my Great Great Uncle this time. He signed up for the Royal Welsh Fusileers on 21 Jan 1898. In campaigns on his papers it says South Africa 1899 - 1902, and in the countries served in section you can make out South Africa, Africa and what looks to be India.

In the attached it shows part of his service record and im having problems decyphering it. After he was attested , it looks to me like he was appointed provisional lance corporal on 4 . 3 . 99, then on the 12 . 8 . 99 i think is says something about the lances stripe, possibley deferred??? and then finally below that is says what looks like Deserted?, or Demoted? , anyone with more experience able to clarify this for me?.

Also on his medal role papers for this it says something on the end, just against his name on the sheet, which looks "like" to 2 btn Hong Kong 20.7.00 ...anyone able to confirm this and help me fill in any more missing details on what may have happened to him after this date?

At the bottom of his service papers it says 23.11.03 for his date of disharge and 4 years 301 days for length of service, less than the 5 years minimum service that the attestation papers seem to show?

Many thanks

Mike

post-7595-1143274979.jpg

post-7595-1143274998.jpg

Hello

the RWF did go to China as some point 1900 as 300 qualified for the Relief Of Pekin bar to the China war medal 10/6/00 - 31/12/00 - and the 2nd Btn was involved but dont know which bars awarded

Ian

Would i be right in saying that the NA would have records of the 2nd battalion in hong kong and i will be able to find his medal roll for that too??? - just as i did for South Africa?

Many thanks

Mike

Hello

the medal rolls should be at the NA

Ian

I can help, but I need: name, rank, regimental number.

I have SA roll and China roll databased. Many 1st Bn men went to 2nd Btn in Hongkong after hostilities ended in SA.

Hi,

His name is Edwin Warlow, rank as Private but some mention of what looks to be provisional lance croporal in his papers. His number is 5537

Many thanks

Mike

There is no Warlow on the China Medal roll. All that this means is that he arrived too late for the medal.

Fortunately, he is on the SA roll: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith bars on QSA. No KSA.

I am a bit surprised by his 5 year enlistment and would be glad to have more detail: perhaps a scan of the document as an attachment to an email, please? I have never found reference to a five year hitch on offer in about 1898, although there were many short-lived variations. If this engagement did not include a reserve liability, the army was bound, under the rules, not to keep him a day longer, so had to get him home.

Hello,

Thanks for that, the medal roll sheet i have does not show him as having the Orange Free State bar?, which seems strange. I would be glad to email you the pictures, they are quite big scans about 1mb each for each sheet of 6, with the medal roll making a seventh, what email address should i send them to?

Regards

Mike

P.S. By the way the header reads,

Short Service

(7 years with the colours, and 5 years with the reserve, or , if the man compleets his 7 years service with the colours while beyond the seas, then for a further period not exceeding 1 year with the colours and the remaining 12 years with the reserve).

I must admit i dont really understand what that all meant, i said 5 years because it mentions 5 years with the reserve and he seemed to serve close to 5 years, but perhaps i should have said 7 years or 12?

I do not have SA roll as a duplicate: merely as a database compled by a highly respected regimental historian. I confirm OFS.

I am even more puzzled by 7 and 5 because I do not see how he was released after 4 and a bit! Please email scan to: langleybaston@aol.com and I will analyse it for you.

Many thanks, will try and email tonight

I'll email each page in its own email as they are about 1meg each

Many thanks for your time

Mike