Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suffolk Regiment Museum...

Chief_Chum

In July 2004 The Suffolk Regiment Museum, still housed in part of the original 1878 barracks, was revamped and some chronological order was imposed on the delightfully chaotic exhibits without losing the 'old style' regimental museum charm.

Unlike most regimental museums, which have been modernised and made 'relevant' to the modern world, The Suffolk Regiment Museum still contains a massive amount of artifacts which will appeal to the young and old, soldier and civvie alike including a great deal from The Great War.

Since July 2004 the museum has been open only on the first Wednesday each month. However, from 2nd April, the Museum will be open of the first Sunday each month too until September when opening hours will revert to just the first Wednesday for the winter. It has taken a great deal of persuasion to get the Museum open on a day when the majority of us are not at work and children are not at school so we are hoping that plenty of people will come along over the summer and enjoy this superb collection. If you can find the time, or you live in the area, you will certainly find a visit worthwhile.

The Museum is open from 9.30am to 3.30pm on the following dates in 2006:

Wednesdays:

1st March; 5th April; 3rd May; 7th June; 5th July; 2nd August; 6th September; 4th October; 1st November; 6th December.

Sundays:

2nd April; 7th May; 4th June; 2nd July; 30th July; 6th August; 3rd September;

Easy access from the A14 - Junction 42. Follow the A1302 towards Bury St Edmunds town centre. The Museum is through the barrack gate by the mini roundabout at the junction of Newmarket Road and Saxham Road.

The Suffolk Regiment Museum

The Keep,

Gibraltar Barracks,

Newmarket Road,

Bury St Edmunds,

Suffolk

For more information see: www.suffolkregiment.org

post-1565-1143198922.gif

I strongly believe that our Regimental Museums should be supported by the public at large, as they are the last reminders of vanished Regiments who have served their country well. I'm going to Devon in the Summer from Sheffield..... if my geography is correct Bury St. Edmunds is directly en route! So thanks for the reminder about the Suffolks.

Edwin Astill

if my geography is correct Bury St. Edmunds is directly en route!

Edwin Astill

Edwin

:blink: Sorry mate, back to school for geography lessons.

Bury St Edmunds is in East Anglia - you know Suffolk just below Norfolk :D

Glyn

I hope my wife's geography is not as hot as you fellows .... its on the direct route as far as I'm concerned!

Edwin Astill

And look on the bright side. When your wife says (as she inevitably will when she knows you're "lost") - "There's no need to get cross"....for once she'll be right!