Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

invalided out due to neurasthenia

SharonWitherden

Able Seaman Harry Roe served in depot ships around the Uk and was invalided out in Jan 1918 due to neurasthenia. Would he have received a silver war badge?

I just wanted to clarify this before handing over 6.50 to the NA to search for his files.

thankyou

Sharon.

Sharon,

If you click on the link The long,long trail at top of page and click on Silver War Badge it says that

the SWB was awarded to personnel whether they were in a theatre of war or not. My understanding from that is that he certainly would have qualified unless other members no of any 'small print' that says otherwise.

Regards,

Simon.

Hello

Yes, he could have. i have medals to a chap awarded a swb for the same

Ian

I have a pair to a stoker who was invalided out for this reason and he received the silver wound badge which unfortunately I do not have.Bob.

If he served in the Navy for more than 28 days he would also have been entitled to a single British War Medal. This is irrespective of whether he served outside of UK or not.

If he served in the Navy for more than 28 days he would also have been entitled to a single British War Medal. This is irrespective of whether he served outside of UK or not.

that's interesting because i did a search of the online campaign medals and his name wasn't on there - i just assumed it was because he'd always been based at depots in the UK. I guess it got lost along the way, or has been mislabelled.

Sharon

Thanks for the other posts guys, wasn't sure about whether neurasthenia entitled you to a SWB or not.

Sharon

You won't find details of his medals online, the navy didn't use medal index card system and their medal rolls haven't been put online. The ww1 medal rolls are on microfilm and SWB rolls are still original documents: there are 2 different sets of SWB rolls. So you'll be getting 3 searches for your £6.50.

It is possible that he got a 14/15 Star trio, some men went overseas while being allocated to a depot ship for pay.

Sharon

You won't find details of his medals online, the navy didn't use medal index card system and their medal rolls haven't been put online. The ww1 medal rolls are on microfilm and SWB rolls are still original documents: there are 2 different sets of SWB rolls. So you'll be getting 3 searches for your £6.50.

It is possible that he got a 14/15 Star trio, some men went overseas while being allocated to a depot ship for pay.

Thanks so much for that info - i'm really glad now that i decided to wait until Monday morning to send off my request to the NA.

Thanks again to all.

Sharon