Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain C.M. Durrant

Chris Noble

There's always one :blink:

In the course of researching my local war memorial, i've come across this chap.

Details on the memorial are as follows;

Captain C.M. Durrant, Royal Marine Artillery.

Listed on CWWG as serving with 2nd Cape Corps, South African Army with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant, died, 25th July, 1918.

However, SDGW lists the above date of death as 31st July, 1918 and his Regiment/Corps as Special Lists, New Armies.

Have i identified the right individual?

Checked the London Gazette, 1901 Census results, local records et al. The only lead i seem to have is that he could have been the Son of a member of the local clergy, thats the only link to the area i seem to have found. Any info or pointers Pals?

Just run out of ideas on this one :blink:

Chris.

Chris

The Marlborough College Register lists this man:

Christopher Martin DURRANT

son of the Rev.C.A.Durrant of Wetherby

born 5 April 1884

Marlborough College 1899-1901

R.M.L.I. 1901

Captain 1915

Killed by premature explosion of a shell 31 July 1918.

The RMLI details could of course be an error and it should be RMA.

The Register was written in 1933.

Dave

This is a classic case of two sources disagreeing !

The only way this can be sorted is by a third independent source - the Register entry could have taken info from SDGW (I think it had been published in 1933?).

You could query it with CWGC on casualty.enq@cwgc.org . It may simply be a clerical error on their part.

• 4 years later...

What a lot has happened since Chris Noble's first enquiry into our relative.

We discovered this Forum through Chris Nobles's postings on Chris' uncle Christopher Martin, and the younger brother Humphrey. He has helped Chris find the uncle, after whom he is named, but knew only that he had died in the Great War in Rhodesia. You are ever in our debt Chris.

We have traced his war-time record, found out exactly where and how he died, bought a book detailing his Rhodesian Native Regiment's time in Africa, managed to find photos of him in an old family album located with the English branch of the family, and further information may be forthcoming from the Zimbabwe National Archives. Today Terry Denham emailed us with the news that the information recorded on the CMWG has been amended to BSAP, his parent unit. A special thank you to you for the time and trouble you have taken with this.

These are very dry words that do not describe the emotional journey this has been. We thank all the Pals that have patiently explained details, directed us and encouraged different avenues to research. This is a tiny portion of what happens everyday here. Again I can only thank you all

Cheers

Shirley (and Chris)

Fantastic news Shirley/Chris!

Well done to Terry also for his efforts in making sure that Christopher's details were amended.

Kindest regards to you all.

Chris.

Shirley & Chris

I'm glad that you've such success with this chap. Good luck with your other searches.

• 1 year later...
There's always one :blink:

In the course of researching my local war memorial, i've come across this chap.

Details on the memorial are as follows;

Captain C.M. Durrant, Royal Marine Artillery.

Listed on CWWG as serving with 2nd Cape Corps, South African Army with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant, died, 25th July, 1918.

However, SDGW lists the above date of death as 31st July, 1918 and his Regiment/Corps as Special Lists, New Armies.

Have i identified the right individual?

Checked the London Gazette, 1901 Census results, local records et al. The only lead i seem to have is that he could have been the Son of a member of the local clergy, thats the only link to the area i seem to have found. Any info or pointers Pals?

Just run out of ideas on this one :blink:

Chris.

I have also been researching Wetherby War Memorial names and have a photograph of his grave at Lumbo British Cemetery,Mozambique. I found, on visiting the Public Record Office in Kew, the Capt Durrant RM had been placed on the retired list with an Annuity (in lieu of Gratuity) under Order in Council 12/12/1885 on account of Misconduct - 6/4/1915. His subsequent Service Record you know,I believe. He was,of course, the brother of Humphrey M L Durrant who died of wounds following the Battle of Jutland and whose grave is at Dalmeny & Queensferry Cemetery, Edinburgh, I also have a photograph of his grave.

Of the other servicemen (and one woman) whose names are on the War memorial at Wetherby I have details and photographs of most, all those buried or commemporated in the Uk and all in France and Belgium , all, except the ones in the Berlin Cemetery in Germany and Holland but have no photographs of the Gallipoli casualties (including one in Malta) nor the WWII casualties in Italy or North Africa.

That is exciting news! it is always good to know that the men are not forgotten names on a memorial never visited. I would love a picture of the grave at Lumbo, I am trying to persuade my husband Chris that visiting his uncle's grave may be slightly difficult ^_^

We have also just discovered that their elder brother Aubrey also served in the War.

Cheers

Shirley

Hello Peter.

Welcome to the Forum. Do you live locally?

I have been researching the War Memorial at Wetherby for about 4 years now and have a wealth of information on the Great War commemorations but i haven't expanded this into WW2.

All the best.

Chris.

That is exciting news! it is always good to know that the men are not forgotten names on a memorial never visited. I would love a picture of the grave at Lumbo, I am trying to persuade my husband Chris that visiting his uncle's grave may be slightly difficult ^_^

We have also just discovered that their elder brother Aubrey also served in the War.

Cheers

Shirley

There are three pictures each of which exceeds the limit of 100K. Can you let me know your email address and I will send them. Because I could not really visit Mozambique I managed to persuade CWGC to let me have them which were taken on their next regular visit (Quite a time as I recall) Best wishes Peter

Hello Peter.

Welcome to the Forum. Do you live locally?

I have been researching the War Memorial at Wetherby for about 4 years now and have a wealth of information on the Great War commemorations but i haven't expanded this into WW2.

All the best.

Chris.

Chris, I tried a reply earlier and made a mess of it but better luck this time. I now live in Warwickshire but was born in Wetherby (Fox Yard (Bank St) actually. My Uncle George is one whose name is on the Memorial and the family used to live in the big 3 storey houses at Bridge Foot (also known as Bishopgate) they were pulled down about 1935 and the Garden replaces them. I have been researching the War Memorial names since about 2000 and have been to all the UK cemeteries,all the France & Belgium ones and most of the (WWII) cemeteries in Holland & Germany. I started to fashion a Web site but it went into abeyance because of other committments but the basics are still there. Do you live in Wetherby or locally ? I am a bit limited as to travelling but during the summer came up and spent a few days in York & Wetherby to visit friends and relatives so probably a meet to exchange information would be advantageous

Best wishes

Peter

Good evening Peter,

Yes, I am a local Wetherby lad and have been researching the memorial for a number of years. As regards George, he lived at Bridgefoot which is now gardens in front of the Red Lion public house. He was employed by Wharfedale Breweries as a Brewers Labourer. I do believe there is a photograph available of this staff at the photograph archive at Leodis in Leeds.

There is one snippet of information regards his movements on the Somme battlefield, and meeting one Wetherby lad : 'Corporal Telford, writing to his home at Wetherby says; "I have only met one Wetherby lad all the seven months I have been out here, and we had a good talk together. I have been within a quarter of a mile of the 'Wetherby Terriers' but they had gone into the trenches and we had to leave again before they came out. I was disappointed at not seeing them. Talk about it being as good as a tonic to have a 'rig', it is as good as a barrel of medicine to meet some of the Wetherby lads"'

I have been researching Wetherby War Memorial for a number of years, including Gallipoli, France and Flanders and decided to build a website rather than publish a book. This is ongoing research which will provide each individual with a personal biography.

I will be launching my website at the weekend (Sunday), far from complete but the research is substantial and ongoing

Kindest regards

Chris Noble

www.wetherbywarmemorial.com

Hi Peter,

I forgot to welcome you to the Forum! Also, until you have a number of posts (10 I think), we cannot send messages. So we can build posts up here and then exchange email addresses. I have an interesting photo I think you would like, to add to the photo of Christopher's grave at Lumbo.

I can see the Wetherby Memorial is going to be a very special meeting place in years to come. :)

Cheers

Shirley

Good evening Peter,

Yes, I am a local Wetherby lad and have been researching the memorial for a number of years. As regards George, he lived at Bridgefoot which is now gardens in front of the Red Lion public house. He was employed by Wharfedale Breweries as a Brewers Labourer. I do believe there is a photograph available of this staff at the photograph archive at Leodis in Leeds.

There is one snippet of information regards his movements on the Somme battlefield, and meeting one Wetherby lad : 'Corporal Telford, writing to his home at Wetherby says; "I have only met one Wetherby lad all the seven months I have been out here, and we had a good talk together. I have been within a quarter of a mile of the 'Wetherby Terriers' but they had gone into the trenches and we had to leave again before they came out. I was disappointed at not seeing them. Talk about it being as good as a tonic to have a 'rig', it is as good as a barrel of medicine to meet some of the Wetherby lads"'

I have been researching Wetherby War Memorial for a number of years, including Gallipoli, France and Flanders and decided to build a website rather than publish a book. This is ongoing research which will provide each individual with a personal biography.

I will be launching my website at the weekend (Sunday), far from complete but the research is substantial and ongoing

Kindest regards

Chris Noble

www.wetherbywarmemorial.com

Chris: This is getting very interesting - as regards George (my Uncle) he was a Blacksmith in Wetherby as far as I knew and his trade in the army was "shoesmith". I was not aware that he worked at the Brewery (incidentally when I was a Civil Defence Messenger in WWII our headquarters was in the old Brewery offices on stilts just to the left in the yard) Your mentioning contact between Wetherby lads in France reminds me that my father told a tale (he was in the 1/5 WYorks) of once they were slogging along dead tired and were passed by troops going in the other direction and someone spoke to him. A little while later he said "who was that" and one of his mates said "It was thy brother" (besides George another brother Fred also served) so he immediately fell out and went back to find him and then,presumably, caught up with his unit. That may have still been 1/5 WYorks although after Jan 1916 my dad was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. I look forward to looking at your website when it appears

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

I forgot to welcome you to the Forum! Also, until you have a number of posts (10 I think), we cannot send messages. So we can build posts up here and then exchange email addresses. I have an interesting photo I think you would like, to add to the photo of Christopher's grave at Lumbo.

I can see the Wetherby Memorial is going to be a very special meeting place in years to come. :)

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley Thanks for the information, I look forward ultimately to seeing the photo you mention. Did I say that I have also a photograph of Humphrey's Grave at Edinburgh in the shadow of the Forth Rail Bridge though you may have one already yourself

Best wishes

Peter

Hi Peter,

I enjoyed reading that story about your uncle and his brother. I have written in other threads on the Forum how Oliver saw Humphrey for the last time on the beach (jetty) at Suvla, Gallipoli, quite by chance too. Chris Noble has discovered all sorts of gems in the newspapers at Harrogate and Leeds. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when you two get together :lol:

Cheers

Shirley

Hi Peter.

We WILL have to get together :D

In the course of some research as regards the 155th R.F.A., i did come across, without looking at my notes, a H. Telford. As they recruited quite a few local men, and the research is when the Brigade was billeted at Wetherby, i thought that this chap may have been a relation to George?

When you reach the magic "10" on the Forum and you can use the PM facility, i will send you my e-mail address.

Just one final question. Did George marry a woman from Bramham?

All the very best to you Peter.

Chris.

Hi Peter,

May I be so bold as to suggest you send me a post wishing me a Merry Christmas (well strength to cope with the next 2 weeks anyway), and then a separate post to Chris telling him your favourite pub in the Wetherby area, and then another post to me telling me you forgot to mention something, and then we will be almost at the point of exchanging emails and very interesting photos :lol:

Cheers

Shirley

Just a line to wish 'Good Luck' to Chris for the impending launch of his website.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Best regards,

Nigel

Hi Peter.

We WILL have to get together :D

In the course of some research as regards the 155th R.F.A., i did come across, without looking at my notes, a H. Telford. As they recruited quite a few local men, and the research is when the Brigade was billeted at Wetherby, i thought that this chap may have been a relation to George?

When you reach the magic "10" on the Forum and you can use the PM facility, i will send you my e-mail address.

Just one final question. Did George marry a woman from Bramham?

All the very best to you Peter.

Chris.

Chris My uncle George was unmarried and the family was the onle Telford family in Wetherby at that time. There were relatives who lived at Seacroft and ,I believe,Thorner round about that time.

You will probable have seen that I have posted a bit about my uncle's death. The extract from the War Diary is very much abridged but I have the pages from 1st to 13th April 1918

Best Wishes

Peter

Hi Peter,

May I be so bold as to suggest you send me a post wishing me a Merry Christmas (well strength to cope with the next 2 weeks anyway), and then a separate post to Chris telling him your favourite pub in the Wetherby area, and then another post to me telling me you forgot to mention something, and then we will be almost at the point of exchanging emails and very interesting photos :lol:

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley I am intrigued to find out which branch of the Durrant family your husband,Chris came from,there were quite a lot of them, of course, : I was interested to learn that Humphrey had met his brother at Gallipoli, he was on the Queen Mary when it was blown up at Jutland,of course,but was he on a different ship in 1915 ?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

The Durrants were from Sussex, Chris's dad Oliver was born in Petworth. His dad, Charles Aubrey then moved with his family and was the Vicar of Wetherby for 30 years.

Humphrey was on the Canopus in 1915 and we have recently discovered a couple of wonderful letters he had written to his brother.

Keep posting :lol:

Chris,

All fingers crossed for the launch of the website!

Cheers

Shirley

Hi.

I am crossing everything as i am just 'going' with 'what i have.' :D

Research as regards the Gallipoli 'lads' has been a real problem, however, i am now in touch with some of the families of these men.

Peter.

As regards George's father, Tom, a Stone Mason. A member of St. James Church Choir for over 50 years and a good cricketer by all accounts! Good friend of one 'Stumper' Wills. Apparently Tom, was well known to 'get around town' giving impromptu 'sing along' accompanied by all accounts with portable organ etc!

I do have the details/research somewhere Peter and i will forward on.

I need to get on with it as they say!

All the best.

Chris.

Hi Peter,

The Durrants were from Sussex, Chris's dad Oliver was born in Petworth. His dad, Charles Aubrey then moved with his family and was the Vicar of Wetherby for 30 years.

Humphrey was on the Canopus in 1915 and we have recently discovered a couple of wonderful letters he had written to his brother.

Keep posting :lol:

Chris,

All fingers crossed for the launch of the website!

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley

I think they must have moved to Wetherby before Oliver was born because his sisters Faith Eunice (1/4 1889) and Sylvia (3/4 1890) (who died at Tendring Essex in 1891) were both born at Wetherby then Oliver at Petworth (3/4 1896) and finally Humphrey at Wetherby (2/4 1899) - I have just noticed there was also Godfrey Charles (Petworth 3/4 1887) who died at Wetherby in 1896. I have a photograph of the family gravestone in Wetherby Cemetery

I must be getting to the magic 10 soon

Best wishes

Peter