Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

mmm45

Hi

Am researching Pte H Cocksedge KIA 21st Sept 1917 Serving with 16th Northumberland Fusiliers.Can anyone please help me with what the Batt was involved in on that date.

Thanks.

Ady

Sorry Ady, caught your title "Northumberland Fusiliers" but I am just doing 24th to 27th (my grandfather from Canada was in the 26th) so I am sorry that I can not assist. Hopefully some day there will be a renewed interest in the NF Battalions. I got a lot to start with from the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers and then it grew, and grew, and grew.

http://www.johndclare.net/wwi2_FirstDay_Thiepval.htm

Rivers Some Records of Eltham; Cooke Historical Records of the 16th...Northumberland Fusiliers & other Local & Military Histories, all H- B. Fair-Fine. (9) Estimate - 30-40

Ady,

16th Bn,N.F. were in the Lombartzyde right sub-sector, Nieuport area from 12th - 29th September 1917.

All it has in the battalion history is;-

"On the 17th(Sept) the Inniskilling Fusiliers relieved us for four days, when we in turn relieved them and did three more days in front of Lombartzyde. The Inniskilling Fusiliers again relieved us, and we left the front system of trenches in the Nieuport area for the last time, to our great relief, for we had begun to feel that the 96th Brigade would still be relieving itself over the Yser Canal when the end of the war or the world came."

Graham.

Way to go Graham!

We need to have the "Northumberland Fusiliers Research Group".

Other than Sheen's book and my own research, I know very little.

What areas do you cover - what about others?