Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 Sherwood Foresters

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Is there a Sherwood Foresters expert out there who knows where the 11 Sherwood Foresters attacked on 1/7/1916? I think it was probably not far from Thiepval.

Greenwoodman is the expert on the 11th battalion, but until he spots this I hope this will help.

The attack was from Authuille Wood to a point just north-west of Ovillers la Boiselle - the Ovillers Spur. Specifically the southern slope of Nab Valley.

Simon,

According to Martin Middlebrook's Battle of the Somme, " South east of the attack on Leipzig Redoubt on the north-east side of the wood a similiar tragedy had befallen the 70th Brigade of the 8th Division who were facing towards La BOISELLE. The 8th Y. & L. and the 8th K.O.Y.L.I. were attacking with the 9th Y.& L and the 11th., Sherwood Foresters in support."

Regards Cliff.

Andrew, Greenwoodman & Simon,

Further to the post on the 11th Bn. S.F. it rang a bell and I looked at my notes and there was a man from the Village @ Tommy Lowe, 11th Bn., who was killed/D.of W. on the 27th July ,16. if someone could tell me what the Battlion was doing and where at that time it would be greatly appreciated.

There was a rather sad and unfeeling report in the local paper on his death, " Mrs T. Lowe received sad intelligence of the death of her Husband. Tommy Lowe was exceedingly popular sportsman and cricketer he ranked amongst the best that Whitwell has produced. He was seriously wounded at 10.30 p.m. rallied until midnight then passed away. Before he died he said remember me to my wife and children, a piece of shrapnel went straight through his pocket and paybook and photographs of you and his children. He was buried as reverently as possible, no clergy present until morning."

P.S. He came from a sporting family, one brother Charlie played cricket for the County and one ( Bant ) was Captain of Liverpool Football Club.

Cliff,

According to 'The Men from the Greenwood, Being the War History of the 11th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters' by Percy Fryer nothing much was going on. It states:

"On the 20th the march was continued to Bazieux, where the men were bivouaced for a few days along with the rest of the 20th Brigade (presumably a typo for 70th Brigade?). Finally, on the 26th Contalmaison was reached and on the 29th the men took over trenches at North Bazentin le Petit."

I would assume from the sad newspaper report and the above that Tommy Lowe was the unfortunate victim of a rather random shell.

Also Cliff, if you are not aware, the above book is available online (free) here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7...od%20Foresters/

War Diary entry for around 27th July, some 6 days after my Grandad joined:-

26/07/16 Battalion march to the vicinity of CONTALMAISON.

28/07/16 L/Col J J O’SULLIVAN DSO from 19th Cheshire Regiment assumes command.

As for the 1st July, 11th SF went over into a shambles and sustained 508 casualties. Capt Hudson (later Colonel Hudson VC) reports them under fire from machine guns from both ahead and the left flank. Previous battalions had swept over the enemy trenches without searching the deep dugouts. Hudson had his revolver shot out of his hand and his waterbottle holed. He rallied 40 men and tried again to no avail, eventually retreating after being trapped in shellholes.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I think Edward Brittain did go over the top that day, and was severely wounded. Yes I can, page 264 of "Letters of a Lost Generation". 90 yards into No Man's land he was hit in the thigh and crawled into a shellhole. Later hit by a shell splinter in left arm. After another hour and a half crawled back to British lines (with difficulty). He was awarded the MC (presented by the King 17th December). Not back to duty until November (3rd Battalion, Cleadon Hutments, Sunderland). Not fit for the front line til April 1917.

Andrew,

Thankyou for pointing out the site for the 11th Bn, History, it has enabled me to find details of two other men.

Regards Cliff.

Guest Simon Bull
War Diary entry for around 27th July, some 6 days after my Grandad joined:-

26/07/16 Battalion march to the vicinity of CONTALMAISON.

28/07/16 L/Col J J O’SULLIVAN DSO from 19th Cheshire Regiment assumes command.

As for the 1st July, 11th SF went over into a shambles and sustained 508 casualties. Capt Hudson (later Colonel Hudson VC) reports them under fire from machine guns from both ahead and the left flank. Previous battalions had swept over the enemy trenches without searching the deep dugouts. Hudson had his revolver shot out of his hand and his waterbottle holed. He rallied 40 men and tried again to no avail, eventually retreating after being trapped in shellholes.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I think Edward Brittain did go over the top that day, and was severely wounded. Yes I can, page 264 of "Letters of a Lost Generation". 90 yards into No Man's land he was hit in the thigh and crawled into a shellhole. Later hit by a shell splinter in left arm. After another hour and a half crawled back to British lines (with difficulty). He was awarded the MC (presented by the King 17th December). Not back to duty until November (3rd Battalion, Cleadon Hutments, Sunderland). Not fit for the front line til April 1917.

I thought Edward Brittain was wounded on 1/7/1916 not later in the month? Am I wrong Greenwoodman?

Simon,

I think Richard is referring to 1st July events.

Dear all

Just to add a little bit more to the story - here are two accounts from Chesterfield Men:-

"We were one of the first battalions to go over, and there were not many that who got back safe. I think the Germans must have had hundreds of machine guns, as nearly all our Officers were either killed or wounded before they had gone far. But we did not funk it, we kept going on until there was hardly anyone left. I got my wound about ten yards from the German trenches and I had to crawl back as well as I could. Let me know of anyone else who has got done. . . . . .He [Lieut. Short] went over the parapet just before me. He is only young but very brave. He was our machine gun officer. . .you might think I am swanking when I say that every man kept going towards the German lines in spite of the deadly machine gun fire, but it is true. I never saw a man waver and chums were being shot down at our side, it was awful."

[Pte. Percy Williams from Hasland]

and

"We were the first over the parapet and were met with a hellish machine gun fire. They were dropping all round me, but I came through all right. I got my own back and a bit for my brother**. I caught about eight Germans in a dug-out and I out the daylight out of them. I had about ten bombs with me. They are a good thing to carry. A few thrown about and they will shift them. When we were advancing all together it did look well."

[Pte. Walter Dilkes from North Wingfield, **his brother, John Wilkes was killed in action with the 1st Battn on 4th February 1915]

And the final bit:-

A final attack was attempted by Captain Hudson with 50 men using a sunken road on the right flank, which ran from the British Front line towards the German lines on top of 'The Nab'. Although this attack proved more successful and the attacking troops managed to advance within 80 yards of the German second line, they were eventually halted as a result of heavy enemy machine gun fire, some of which was coming from Thiepval spur to the North.

On the map you will see the sunken road at the nab. Last summer as we wlked up that road towards the German front line we can accross this old grenade. Needless to say we steered a wide berth, but I've always wondered if it was dropped there on the 1st July???

post-4619-1143209040.jpg

Apologies if I confused you, Simon. The latter two paras were for you, the first part (war Diary extracts) for Cliff. The info in the Hudson para came from his privately published memoirs.

....and again with childish blue line scribbles to indicate direction ('cos I don't think the one above is easy to read!)

post-150-1143236634.jpg