Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help please

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Guest kenneth mcarthur

hi guys',

can I start by saying a big thank you to all who have helped in the past ,on this wonderful site(me thinks 'that's enough brown nosing' )but I have a few questions concerning a soldiers deployment during ww1.my ggrandfather was with the TF since 1908 (1/7th bn HLI ) until 1918( 1/5th bn HLI) in between he was with the 3/9th bn (we believe (answered elsewere on the forum))and then finally in 1918 with the 1/5th bn HLI.We have his records from kew(those that remain)and they indicate that he was never abroad(his medal card only shows the SWB)as he was pensioned out on the 22/10/1918...........due to gas poisoning......he died in 1920 and is commemorated on the CWGC ( SERVICE NO. 355715 and 5636(gordon highlanders from 1896-1903))

We have found on the SCOTTISH NATIONAL ARCHIVE soldiers wills from both the 3/9th and the 1/5th bn HLI who died in flanders 1918???is it possible that men whom we think were in the uk during 1914-1918 were in fact in france late 1918?? we have searched extensively for accounts of 'accidents' with gas ,here in the uk ,but all we can find are a few instances of gas cannisters being dropped inside factories and one at Kent whilst loading a ship....as I said we have his pension records,his medical records (which state gas poisoning),his burial record(gas poisoning)???any views on this would be greatly appreciated,many thanks for your time

alex

Could he have another medal index card, showing perhaps that he was abroad at some time or another?

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Could he have another medal index card, showing perhaps that he was abroad at some time or another?

barrie, that's possible! didn't actually think of that!

alex

I found it quite surprising how many people I have come across who have had two medal cards. Can you post up a pic of the MIC you have?

Guest kenneth mcarthur
I found it quite surprising how many people I have come across who have had two medal cards. Can you post up a pic of the MIC you have?

sure barrie ,many thanks

sure barrie ,many thanks

sure barrie ,many thanks

Guest kenneth mcarthur

sure barrie ,will post in the next 30mins ,many thanks

Mmm, not much to go on there.

Have you tried looking for a copy of his death certificate? If he died in the UK it should tell you where he died and what he died of. Might give you a bit more to go on. There is also the local newspapers, you could try having a look through them. If it was some kind of accident there may well be mention of it in the papers.

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Mmm, not much to go on there.

Have you tried looking for a copy of his death certificate? If he died in the UK it should tell you where he died and what he died of. Might give you a bit more to go on. There is also the local newspapers, you could try having a look through them. If it was some kind of accident there may well be mention of it in the papers.

hi barrie,we have his death cert(gastric ulcer,pulmonary phthisis due to gassing)his burial record says ' death by gassing'.we have tried the scotsman archive which date from 1820-1950 (roughly) but no joy

Is his occupation given as 'soldier' on his death cert? The Glasgow Herald (now called the Herald) is probably more likely to contain some mention of his death than the Scotsman.

Does his death cert mention where he died? An address or anything?

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Is his occupation given as 'soldier' on his death cert? The Glasgow Herald (now called the Herald) is probably more likely to contain some mention of his death than the Scotsman.

Does his death cert mention where he died? An address or anything?

barrie,on the cert. it says ' army pensioner' he died in (no4) military hospital ,Stobhill,he had been there since 20/10/1918 to his death in 30/9/1920.I will check-out the herald barrie,thank you

alex

Good luck with it Alex, let me know if you come up with anything.

Barrie

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Good luck with it Alex, let me know if you come up with anything.

Barrie

thanks barrie

any other help out there?

Guest kenneth mcarthur
thanks barrie

any other help out there?

I'll send them to you later today john as the files are to large for the site

regards

alex