Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rescued from the rubbish bin

towisuk

post-5284-1143112958.jpg

I have been given a post card photograph which was rescued from the rubbish bin at a local charity shop.

I believe the photo was taken in Britain because it has "Post Card " in English and not "Carte Postale" which would indicate a French issued card

There is no other information on the card and it was never posted, a French postcard showing bomb damaged buildings in Aix Noulette was also recovered again no written message and never posted.

I was wondering if any of our forum members could identify the Regiment and give any reason for a Photo such as this should be turned into a postcard.

Tom.

2 officers, 7 colour sergeants and 20 o/r's most of whom seem to have the same cap badge and the majority have medal ribbons; one is wearing a white lanyard. Apart from that I am unable to add much except that few that you can see seem to be wearing puttees.

Not unusual at this time for photos to be produced as postcards so that they could be sent to the folks at home. I have 3 of my dad's TA battery that were taken on annual camps and they are from the 1930's.

Also have a WW1 of my grandfather, RFC, with two of my uncles as children.

i have got family wedding photo's that where printed on postcards!

i have got family wedding photo's that where printed on postcards!

Not uncommon at all - postcard format cameras were fairly common, and I presume that you could get your film or plate printed onto a postcard if you were well-off enough to have one. ALternatively, many street photographers had them and you could get your photo taken, then the postcards sent on to you once they were developed. My Granny has a set of these taken of her in Dundee in 1929. Then you just send them round your mates (or usually family back then, as far as I can tell).

Given that the penny post made it cheap and easy to send postcards, and there were plenty of photographers about with postcard fomat cameras, the number of photos of relations etc on postcards should be no surprise. It's the equivalent of emailing that digital photo of you out on the razz to all your mates!

A postcard-format Kodak

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/3afpk.shtml

And a little more on them (hidden in the verbiage about lenses)

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-..._id=00DkNJ&tag=

Adrian

The majority certainly have that "been there, seen it, done it" look about them and so wonder if they're National Reservists or staff at one of the Yorks Depot units i.e. the regular Depot Bn or 3rd Line T.F. Bn's. Could even be 1918 Volunteers, but the officers would have small bronze V's on their collars and any shoulder titles would be embroided in white worsted cotton.

Graham.

They remind me of groups I`ve seen of POW Camp guards, but I think most would then have the GS capbadge. Phil B

A name I have been given for the senior officer in the picture is Smith who is of Scottish descent.

My informant is checking his library to see if he can come up with a forename and any other details that might be available

Tom

Tom,

I have a set of about 20 such cards for the 11th Battalion Border Regiment, so I think it may have been a style of the times.

They were all produced locally and if you check here Website, on the postcards link you will see they are labelled in this case. I think it may have been a token of local pride in 'their battalion' going off to fight....

post-1137-1143230453.jpg

Tom,

I have a set of about 20 such cards for the 11th Battalion Border Regiment, so I think it may have been a style of the times.

They were all produced locally and if you check here Website, on the postcards link you will see they are labelled in this case. I think it may have been a token of local pride in 'their battalion' going off to fight....

Dear spike - Just to say i have thoroughly enjoyed your link to the website link, you are a credit to them all, very poignant and professional, thank you for an hour well spent, keep up your good work.

Thanks Sharon,

I feel all the men and women who fought deserve a bit of webspace or a book, somewhere, and with the people who are members of this forum, that can happen. They, at least, will never be forgotten

The picture depicts part of an artillery battery. Such "team" photos were common and invariably made into postcards for sending home. No bandoliers being worn but cap badge and arm insignia are artillery.

Roop

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, since I made a donation to the local hospice for the two postcards I received last week a veritable pile was given to me this morning from the same source. The odd one or two had WW1 links, one showing German artillery pieces on show next to a town hall at Carency from 1915 had been addressed and sent to San Antonio Texas!

Also two british soldiers who had their photo taken and made into cards but never sent.

It's a sobering thought when one thinks that moments from peoples lives which were very meaningful are heading for the rubbish bin......time and tide and all that............

Regards to all

Tom