Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Alfred B Pembroke - Lancs Fusiliers

Guest Pete Wood

I found a grave stone, while walking in Greenwich (London) today. The private grave is marked Alfred Brankston Pembroke, Captain Lancashire Fusiliers, who died 17th September 1916, aged 38 years.

I can't find him on CWGC or SDGW. So had he retired, and/or was he medically unfit...?

Not clear if this is the same man but the London Gazette gives

Capt A. B. Pembroke of the Ox & Bucks L.I. "relinquishes his commission on account of ill health 22 Sept 1915"

Regards

Michael D.R.

That's really impressive, stuff. Thank you.

But now I am curious. How did you find that info?

Try as I might, I can't get the Gazette's search engine to reveal that information? What's the secret, please....?

R. T.

Glad to have ben able to help with Capt Pembroke, but alas I have no explanation for the relative success of my enquiries compared to yours. I have been into the LG often over the last week for a couple of chaps whom I am interested in and yes it had struck me that it was becoming easier to get around than it was a few month ago. I assumed that the improvement was due to an upgrade at the LG, however your experience suggests that this is not so. I really have no idea what to suggest, except that I have found that 'less is more' ie don't bother with full first names, only use initials and then narrow it down from there. See if it works for you. Again sorry I cannot be of more help.

Perhaps a Pal who is more Comp. Lit. than myself can offer some constructive advice here?

Regards

Michael D.R.

R.T.

Just rechecked to see if my first success was a fluke

LG details quoted above are from issue 29304 of 21 Sept 1915 page 13 of 74

LG issue 29213 of 29 Jun 1915 page 10 of 16 also has the foll on Capt Pembroke

"Buckinghamshire Batt., O & B LI., Capt A.B. Pembroke, Reserve of Officers, to Captain (temp) and Adjutant, 14 April 1915"

Regards

Michael D.R.