Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Complete newb here

Guest paulbarrett1984

Guest paulbarrett1984

I'm a complete newb!

Not sure where toi start. I have this picture of my Great Grandfather's regiment. Where can I find out where this regiment went, and what they did?

Thanks,

Paul.

post-11585-1142953140.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Paul. Someone with appropriate knowledge will be along in no time to help you in your research I'm sure.

Meanwhile, great photo! A.S.C. stands for Army Service Corps - have a look on the Long, Long Trail (click on the link near the top left of the Forum page, then click on Army Organisation in the middle column) to find out what their role was.

All the best

Jim

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

The picture is of the ASC, which is the 'Army Service Corps'. It is the 556th (Horse Transport) Company. You can find out more about the kind of things the ASC did on the main site here: http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

If you follow the links through you will discover that 556th HT Coy were part of the 69th (2nd East Anglian) Division and remained in the UK.

Great picture Paul,

As they remained in the UK, you could say they were the lucky ones.

I wonder where Captain Calloway was being posted, and if he survived the war ?

Can only see one Calloway (Rifleman in the London Regiment) who died in 1918 (when Captain Calloway left for overseas) so hopefully he did survive.