Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Givenchy battlefields 1915

Laurent

Hi, take a look to this picture of little shelter near Givenchy (la Bassee canal) in forest...this construction was signed by: N°1 Section 251st Field Comran (???) Royal Engineers ....someone could give me more informations about this regiment ? Thank you.

post-4-1064081947.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Actually Laurent now that I am doing more planning for my trip, and also so that maybe now someone can add a little more to the thread I thought I would bring this back up.

I was curious where this bunker/shelter is. I think I'd liek to see it in person.

Andy

See the map to find this shelter. Many others shelters and bunkers are now in private wood near Cuinchy and Festubert but it's possible to visit this area (just sens me a mail 1 day before).

Laurent.

post-4-1107328541.jpg

N°1 Section 251st Field Comran (???) Royal Engineers

The 'Comran' is 'Company'.

The rose in the other photos looks like that of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division - like the one as my avatar. Nice to see it with such clarity in the photo!

Ste

Hello, Laurent, I think we have discussed this shelter before...the inscription looks more like 151 than 251, which would make sense because 251 were not a Field Company but a Tunnelling Company...151 were a Field Company attached to the 38th (Welsh) Division, who were at Cuinchy in early 1916. Regards, Peter.