Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Butler- Royal Field Artillery

Guest Martin Hodson

Guest Martin Hodson

Dear All,

My grandfather, George Butler, was born in Ombersley, Worcestershire, on 21 Sep 1890, and baptised on 14th June 1891 in St. Andrews Church, Ombersley. George's two brothers were both in the Worcestershire Regiment, and we know quite a lot about them, one died of typhoid in Malta in 1915 after serving in Gallipoli, and the other got TB in the trenches in France and eventually died in 1920. Until last week we knew nothing of George's war record in WW1, but then we visited the Worcester History Centre. Amazingly within ten minutes, there were "Three Patriotic Brothers" staring out of the page at us- a collage of all three in Berrow's Worcester Journal. From the picture and caption we now know that George was a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery (at least he was at the end of 1915). He survived the war, returned to Ombersley, was very active in the British Legion, but was then sadly killed in 1930 when knocked off his bicycle by an out of control lorry.

I have seen on the forum that sometimes people have access to records which might put a bit of flesh on George's military career. Any ideas/ help gratefully received!

Best Wishes,

Martin

I'm new to this as well, but one of the best places is to try the National Archives Medal Index Card search at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/medals.asp

See what you can get there.

If you get his service number then try Dick Flory (rflory) at the Units and Formations forum who has a wealth of info on the Artillery. Dick has a long running post going there about the Artillery. just ask your question at the end of the post.

Dick is supremely helpful and helps wherever he can, so ask him nicely and he might be able to get you something.

Cheers,

Battler

Guest Martin Hodson

Battler,

Thanks. I tried the cards. Slight snag is that there are six George Butlers who were in the RFA!!! And the cards do not give enough information to distinguish which was which. It worked very well for my two great-uncles, but I knew their regimental numbers as they died in the war. Somehow I need to find George's regimental number.

Will try Units and Formations as well.

Best Wishes,

Martin