Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Question

shelley

What little family lore I have managed to glean says that Dixon Entwistle, 235465 1/5 Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers, my great grandfather, was not long in the army before he was killed.

He seems to be a conscript, married with two little girls and had a job as Tackler/foreman at a mill. Is it possible to find out when/where he trained and when he joined his unit in France/Belgium.

I know from the history of the 1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers that they trained earlier that year on the old battlefields at the Somme, and entered the lines at Ephehy prior to heading to Belgium.

Thank You in advance.

cheers Shelley

Shelley,

I don't have your answer, but basic training is done at home, before being posted overseas. Usually the recruit is posted to the training battalion and then drilled and trained in that regiment/battalion's usual training area. Once posted overseas, and either to keep up the standards, or rehearse for a big attack, the troops are trained nearer the front line, in rear areas such as you mention. Quite usually, the troops serving in France were sent to Etaples and the infamous 'Bull Ring' on the nearby sands, before being sent to front line units.

May I suggest you post your request under Units and Formations - I expect a pal with Lancs Fusiliers knowledge will give you some guide.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

will do.

Shelley :)

Shelley

You could try trawling through the MIC's at the PRO to find someone with a similar number who was awarded a silver war badge. You can then look up the rolls which will give you an enlistment date. It is advisable to do this with 3 or 4 men to make sure that there are no anomalies.

You could go straight to the SWB rolls but they are a bit difficult to navigate

Mick Mills

Thanks Michael,

I live in Canada so cannot do that right now, who knows what the future will bring though.

cheers Shelley :)

Shelley,

Apart from asking on the other section as I previously mentioned, seeing that you live in Canada may I suggest you pay a researcher to check for his service record? Cheaper than flying over! His record might not survive, but you never know.

I see that the training battalions were raised at Bury, but that does not mean he did his basic training there.

Have you downloaded his medal index card? If he was an earlier recruit then that might show up with the entry to the theatre of war where he earned his medals.

Ian