Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are serving soldiers listed on the 1901 census?

Duncan

I have WW1 medals to two older soldiers in my collection.

Company Quarter Master Sergeant 3/10753 Herbert E. Cracknell, Norfolk Regiment.

Private 15279 Albert Edward Williams, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Soldiers Died states formerly Pte 720, Wiltshire Regiment.

I was wondering if serving soldiers were listed on the 1901 census. I guess the Boer War complicated things?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Hi Duncan,

Only serving soldiers in the UK are captured in the 1901 census:

Interesting note:

19 Herbert Cracknell are mentioned in the 1901 census and over 300 Albert Williams

Absent soldiers were on the local council's ABSENTEE VOTERS LIST. This is normally available from county record offices.

Best wishes to all

Neil

Duncan

I trhink you might find Absent Voters Lists only started during the war, around 1917 if I remember correctly.

As RWS points out, soldiers who were stationed in the UK are listed in the 1901 census, those serving overseas are not.

A basic question. What was the exact date of the 1901 census?

I ask because I am in a bit of a quandry about my GGF, Walter William Collier. He is on the 1891 census as a Soldier, which fits in with his service record in terms of time.

However, he is also on the 1901 census as a Soldier, living in a private address in London with wife and kid - which does not match the service record I have from WO97, he being discharged from the Reserve in about 1896 as I recall.

Family "history" says he served in the Boer War - along with 2 brothers, and a Walter William Collier did serve with the Imperial Yeomanry.

Now for the delicate bit <_< . I'd like to fix the day of the census as my GF is listed as being 1 year old. If the old man was in S. Africa between 1898 and 1900........

You see my point :huh:

Chris C

According to my book, census return dates were:

1901: 31 march

1891: 5 April

1881: 3 April

1871: 2 April

1861: 7 April

1851: 30 March

1841: 7 June

DerekW

According to my book, census return dates were:

1901: 31 march

1891: 5 April

1881: 3 April

1871: 2 April

1861: 7 April

1851: 30 March

1841: 7 June

DerekW

Thanks Derek

Chris C

Chris,

A one year old would be anyone who hadn't reached their second birthday. Therefore date of birth could be anywhere between April 1899 and March 1900.

Most children under one year old are listed as 8 months for example, but I imagine a fair few of those went on as "1".

Also don't forget that everyone who fought in the Boer war did not necessarily serve 1899-1902. My great-uncle only arrived in SA in March 1902.

Steve.

Chris

To further emphasise what Stebie's said, if your GGF was in the Imperial Yeomanry then he wouldn't have served with them in South Africa prior to 1900 as they didn't start to raise I. Y. units until the early months of that year.

Regards

Steve

Cheers the Steves! :D

A question. Is there a specific WO file at the NA for IY soldiers? Or indeed medal rolls?

Mind you, I am only assuming that the Walter William Collier who served in the IY and my chap are one and the same but, unlike his brother Job, who was still serving, his name does not appear to be on the medal roll of his old regiment the HLI.

Good snippets of information chaps, I didn't know that the IY were formed that late.

I've ordered GF's birth cert from the PRO so I'll find out soon. Now that I've paid out £7 tho' I get the nagging feeling that I recall a December birthday??

Chris C

A basic question. What was the exact date of the 1901 census?

I ask because I am in a bit of a quandry about my GGF, Walter William Collier. He is on the 1891 census as a Soldier, which fits in with his service record in terms of time.

However, he is also on the 1901 census as a Soldier, living in a private address in London with wife and kid - which does not match the service record I have from WO97, he being discharged from the Reserve in about 1896 as I recall.

Family "history" says he served in the Boer War - along with 2 brothers, and a Walter William Collier did serve with the Imperial Yeomanry.

Now for the delicate bit <_< . I'd like to fix the day of the census as my GF is listed as being 1 year old. If the old man was in S. Africa between 1898 and 1900........

You see my point :huh:

Chris C

hiya chris,did your ggf come from camberwell,surrey,bernard

hiya chris,did your ggf come from camberwell,surrey,bernard

Hi Bernard,

Originally, no. He was a Wiltshire boy, born near Westbury but went to London as a 12 year old to work. Served in the HLI from about 1888? to 1896? And possibly Imperial Yeomanry in SA. Died in Royal Defence Corps 1917, buried at Hero's Corner Woolwich.

GF was born / registered in Paddington, BUT my old man WAS from Camberwell. Lothian Road to be exact which I believe no longer exists, thanks to Fat Hermann's Flying Circus (1940) Ltd. :D

Chris C

Is there a specific WO file at the NA for IY soldiers? Or indeed medal rolls?

QSA and KSA medal rolls for I. Y. are held under NA reference WO100/252 (QSA) and WO100/356 & 357 (KSA).

Steve

QSA and KSA medal rolls for I. Y. are held under NA reference WO100/252 (QSA) and WO100/356 & 357 (KSA).

Steve

Nice 1!

You wouldn't know the WO for Service records for IY would you??

Chris C

chris,i asked because there was a walter,w collier aged 3 living in camberwell,with his uncle frederick who had a son also called walter,the address 25 glengall grove camberwell,surrey,frederick was an articled clerk,this was in 1881,bernard

Not mine then Bernard. In 1881 my Walter W was a Draper's Porter in Soho! A few steps down the social ladder from articled clerk!! :lol:

You wouldn't know the WO for Service records for IY would you??

The Attestation papers of men enlisting into the Imperial Yeomanry are under NA reference WO128.

Regards

Steve

Detail from the NA website:

Imperial Yeomanry:

Attestation and discharge papers of men who served are in the series WO 128. They are arranged in service number order and the registers of service numbers are in WO 129. However, there is now an alphabetical guide Asplin K.J. The Roll of the Imperial Yeomanry, Scottish Horse and Lovats Scots. Second Boer War 1899-1902. The service record gives details of age, place of birth, next of kin and place of enlistment. A few men later transferred to the regular army. Where this occurred and they were discharged before 1914, the service records are in WO 97.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Certainly does Steve. Thanks. I feel a trip to Kew coming on.

Chris C

I've ordered GF's birth cert from the PRO so I'll find out soon. Now that I've paid out £7 tho' I get the nagging feeling that I recall a December birthday??

Chris C

Chris

Don't forget what I said about having six weeks to register the birth. So being registered in Q1/1900 could mean he was born as early as mid-November 1899.

thanks Stephen. I look forward to gathering more info

C