Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warwickshire Regiment

Martyn Gibson

Hi Rob,

Do you have any details on the following set of brothers who I am certain were with the above regiment during the Great War.

Matthew and Thomas Handley (Handly?)

I am sorry but I don't at this moment in time have any further details. It is just a quick mailing to see if you do have anything on them.

Kind regards

Martyn

Point of protocol!

(OK, it can be seen as nit-picking, but my dear, late Dad was one of them [officer, WW2] and these things mattered to him, and I'm maintaining the family tradition/honour)

No-one calls them 'the Warwickshires' - even tho' it's creeping into books of late (!). Members of the extended regimental family are allowed to call them the "Warwicks", to everyone else it is the "Royal Warwicks" but never (what, never - no, never! - and not 'hardly ever' either G&S fans) "Warwickshires" - please?

(I am not sure whether inappropriate use of epithet would result in the violent response engendered in calling a King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantryman a 'Coily' (KOYLI)' or a King's Own Scottish Borderer a 'Cosbee' [or for that matter a South Stafford a 'twister'] but it used to upset Dad, and that's enough for me!)

Phil,

Point taken and duly noted for future reference.

Terry,

Many thanks for the info

Regards

Martyn

Kevin I will check and get back to you

Tks for the interest

Martyn