Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soliders ward records

Guest dotty

My name is Kathleen Willcocks My father's name was Hiram Ludlam born in York 8th August 1899. I do not know a great deal about his war service as he never spoke to me about it. However my brother John Ludlam seems to know more than me and tells me that my Father joined the East Yorks at fulford barracks York. He served in France during the Great War on the Somme etc and used to tell him tales reagarding this. My mother used to tell him to stop asking my Father about the war and he was, so he says, and I never knew this at all, that he was bayoneted in the head and was then transferred to the Royal Army Service Core. I do know that he used to work with horses and I remember him chastising a milk man in our street who was mistreating a horse attached to the milk cart.

I believe his service number was R/390825 and I believed he served in Antwerp at sometime.

I would be grateful for any information anyone can turn up.

Many thanks

Kathleen Willcocks

From his service number and a quick look at his Medal Index Card, we can see that he was actually in the Army Service Corps remount section (hence his affiliation with horses). He didn't serve overseas until at least 1st January 1916 and he only served overseas with the ASC.

He may have originally joined the East Yorks, but he didn't see action with them, nor travel overseas with them as he was possibly transferred to the ASC before leaving these shores. A look at the medal roll (which is referenced on his MIC) will probably confirm his original unit. He was entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, both of which were stamped with his ASC details.

Dave.

...his MIC...

post-357-1142860638.jpg